AC Nodal analysis -- help please

In summary, the homework statement is to determine the current in branch Z4 using nodal analysis. TheAttempt at a Solution states that the student is not sure how to handle the source voltage V3 and is looking for help. Supernodes are a way to solve the problem without using nodal analysis.
justadaftspark

Homework Statement

Determine using nodal analysis the current in branch Z4

Homework Equations

upload_2015-4-7_15-49-43.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Not sure how to handle the source v3 my solution so far has came up with answers that are not the same as the answers that I got for mesh analysis.

Node A VA-V1/Z1+VA/Z4+VA-VB/Z2= 0
VA(1/Z1+Z2+Z4)-V1(1/Z1)-VB(1/Z2)=0
VA(0.5-j0.4)-VB(0-j0.2)=60+j0
Node B VB-VA/Z2+VB/Z5+VB-V2/Z3=0
-VA(1/Z2)+VB(1/Z2+Z3+Z5)-V2(1/Z3)=0
-VA(0-j0.2)+VB(0.25-j0.45)=0+j30

After plugging this into Wolframalpha I get VA = 79.93+j68.3
VB = -10.9+j36.42

Therefore VA/Z4 = -13.66+j15.99 A my answer from mesh = 8.78+j16.59 A I have put this back into the equations to confirm.

Like I say I am not sure about the V3 source.Is the potential at node VA the same as V3?

Many thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
justadaftspark said:
Like I say I am not sure about the V3 source.Is the potential at node VA the same as V3?
No, but VA = VB + V3.

Have you covered supernodes?

first, your equations for nodal analysis are not correct. you are not taking into account the voltage source V3

The goal of nodal analysis is to express all node voltage in the form of all known inputs/independent variables. Due to the voltage source connecting nodes A and B, once we know one we instantly know the other (Va=VB+V3)
Nodal analysis works by doing a KCL at each unknown node. to do a KCL you must know all current that leave the node. We do not know the current through that voltage source.

Given those two points, you cannot use regular nodal analysis to solve this problem. One way is to use something called a 'supernode.'
first define the supernode, which is nodes A and B, and the components that DIRECTLY connect them. Then write a KCL for all currents leaving the supernode and you will have your governing equation.

Thank you both... I have applied a supernode to the circuit which gave me the equation:

(120+j0-VA/2+j0)+(0-VA/0-J5)+(0-VB/0+J4)+(0+J120-VB/4+J0)=0
VA-VB=V3

Therefore VA/Z4 = -9.15+j17.28A :)

I now have to double check my loop analysis. Thanks again for the nudge much appreciated.

1. What is AC Nodal analysis?

AC Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits that contain alternating current (AC) sources. It involves determining the voltage and current at each node in the circuit using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law.

2. How is AC Nodal analysis different from DC Nodal analysis?

AC Nodal analysis takes into account the frequency and phase of the AC sources in a circuit, while DC Nodal analysis only considers the values of the sources at a single point in time. AC Nodal analysis also involves the use of complex numbers to represent the AC quantities in the circuit.

3. What are the steps involved in performing AC Nodal analysis?

The steps for AC Nodal analysis include:
1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
2. Apply KCL to each node to create a set of equations.
3. Use Ohm's Law to express all voltages and currents in terms of complex numbers.
4. Solve the set of equations to determine the voltage and current at each node.
5. Convert the complex numbers back to their polar form to obtain the magnitude and phase of each quantity.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing AC Nodal analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when performing AC Nodal analysis include:
1. Forgetting to include all the sources in the circuit.
2. Not properly labeling the nodes and their corresponding voltages.
3. Using incorrect signs for the currents at each node.
4. Forgetting to convert the complex numbers back to their polar form.
5. Not double-checking the final solution for accuracy.

5. When is AC Nodal analysis typically used?

AC Nodal analysis is typically used in situations where the circuit contains multiple AC sources and complex impedances. It is commonly used in the analysis of electronic circuits, power systems, and communication systems.