Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I AC/Optical conductivity

1. Oct 16, 2017 #1
    Maybe someone can help me out; I've been seeing conflicting information on the meaning behind optical conductivity vs AC conductivity. Some papers seem to post plots of transmission and reflectivity, and others a Drude-like [itex] \sigma(\omega)[/itex]. In many textbooks I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer.

If we start with a system under a field [itex] E(t) = Ee^{i\omega t}[/itex], solve the Drude model to get [itex] \sigma(\omega)[/itex], is this an expression for optical conductivity or AC? And what are the geometries of both?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

I think this depends on frequency (radio- vs. optical).

4. Oct 19, 2017 #3
    By optical conductivity, do you mean photo-conductivity, which is a material becoming conducting when exposed to light, or do you just mean conductivity at very high frequencies?

5. Oct 20, 2017 #4
    I mean conductivity induced by irradiation; I've seen this called both optical and AC conductivity. Maybe it's just called AC because the light has a frequency and an analogy can be drawn between that and actual AC electricity with connected leads?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted