1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC Outlet

1. May 23, 2006 #1
    This isn't anything really involved, I just have a question about AC electrical power outlets. Most have 3 wires behind them, so it is plausible to say that only one of them is safe to touch? This was a multiple choice question on a quiz I had and I figured that since there are two "hot" wires and one "ground" wire, the two "hot" wires couldn't be touched by bare hands.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a single hot wire, a single neutral wire, and a single ground wire. The ground wire is typically connected to the neutral in the circuit breaker in your house. You could touch either ground or neutral without any consequence, assuming that none of the devices connected to your circuit are malfunctioning.

- Warren
  4. May 23, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

So your prof is encouraging his/her students to touch AC Mains connections? Pretty dumb, IMHO. Sounds like they haven't rewired many things hot -- I've been shocked too many times to take these things lightly.
  5. May 23, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?