1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC Power Thru a Resistor

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1

TMO

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circuit is constructed with an AC generator, a resistor, capacitor, and inductor as shown. The generator voltage varies in time ε=Vb-Vam cos(ωt), where εm = 122.5 V and ω = 10.35 x 106 radians/second. The resistance of the circuit is R= 132.1 Ω. The inductance is L= 10.3 μH. XC = 533.060668709571.

https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/UserData/8bc467c3-3c16-0dc8-ccd8-e71529e22ba1/noah_AC1.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

$$ X_L = \omega L $$
    $$ \tan(\phi) = \frac{X_L - X_C}{R} $$
    $$ P(t) = I(t)^2R $$

3. The attempt at a solution

MmF6J.png

Because $$ I(t) = \frac{V(t)\cos(\phi}{R}) $$, therefore $$ P(t) = I(t)^2R = \frac{\epsilon_m^2\cos(\omega t)^2\cos(\phi)^2}{R}. $$ Using the second relevant equation to get phi, I should obtain the power at P(0) simply by plugging in values. However, the correct value isn't generated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When we speak about power in an AC circuit, we mean the time average of the instantaneous power. When you integrate I2R with respect to time for a whole period and divide it by the time period T, you get that Pav=RI0^2/2. (Io/√2 is the rms (root-mean-square) value of the AC current.)

ehild

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3

TMO

Perhaps I haven't clarified. I need to know the magnitude of the power dissipated in the resistor at t=0.

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

φ=arctan((XL-XC)/R) is the phase of the voltage with respect to the current in the whole circuit. The voltage leads the current by the angle φ or the current lags behind the voltage by φ.
    If the voltage is ε(t)=εm cos(ωt), the current is I0cos((ωt-φ).
    The amplitude of the voltage and current are related through the magnitude of the impedance [itex]Z=\sqrt{(X_L-X_C)^2+R^2}[/itex].

εm=ZI0. The instantaneous power is P(t)=I2R.

ehild

6. Nov 26, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If, by t=0 one means that the power is switched on at time zero, so that the implied stimulus for the circuit is Emcos(ωt)u(t), then you've got a situation with a transient response since the initially inert circuit will be "hit" with a step of Em volts at that time.

Fortunately, the fact that it's a series circuit with an inductor helps you out in finding the initial current...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook