1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC RCL circuit

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1
    Hello there, I'm not sure if my solution is correct for [itex]\hat{I}_{C}[/itex]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the given circuit, calculate the current in each circuit element given that V = V[itex]_{o}[/itex]sin(ωt)
    R, L and C are given.
    http://imgur.com/yO3flg8

2. Relevant equations
    Z = R + jX (j[itex]^{2}[/itex] = -1)
    X[itex]_{L}[/itex] = jωL
    X[itex]_{C}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-j}{ωC}[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{V}[/itex] = V[itex]_{o}[/itex]e[itex]^{jωt}[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{I}[/itex] = I[itex]_{o}[/itex]e[itex]^{j(ωt-ø)}[/itex]
    I[itex]_{o}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{V_{}}{|Z|}[/itex]
    tan(ø) = [itex]\frac{\Im(Z)}{\Re(Z)}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First for the impedance, [itex]1/Z_{XL} = 1/X_{L} + 1/X_{C}[/itex]
    [itex] Z_{XL} = j\frac{ωL}{1- ω^{2}CL} [/itex]
    [itex] Z = R + Z_{XL} = R + j\frac{ωL}{1- ω^{2}CL} [/itex]
    The current phasor in the resistor R: [itex]\hat{I_{R}}[/itex]= [itex]\hat{I}[/itex]= [itex]\hat{I_{C}} + \hat{I_{L}}[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{V_{C}} = \hat{V} - \hat{V_{R}} [/itex]
    [itex]\hat{I_{C}} = (\hat{V} - \hat{V_{R}} )/X_{C}[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{I_{C}} = (V_{o}e^{jωt} - I_{o}e^{j(ωt-ø)})(jωc) = V_{o}ωCe^{jwt}(1-\frac{R}{|Z|}e^{-jø})(j) [/itex]
    [itex]\hat{I_{C}} = V_{o}ωCe^{j(ωt+\pi/2)}(1-\frac{R}{|Z|}e^{-jø})[/itex] ø and |Z| are known.
    And[itex]I_{L}[/itex] can be found the same way.
    I'm not entirely sure my solution is correct. Also, since [itex]I_{R}[/itex] is always in phase with V, does that mean that ø is 0? If so, then tan(ø) is also 0 but that would mean that either ω or L are 0...

Note: sorry if it seems slobby and for the skipped steps, my exam is in less than 3 hours and I'm really nervous and running out of time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good luck with your exam! Don't worry too much about this last exercise. The assumption Ir is in phase with V seems incorrect to me.

4. Apr 9, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

well i'm still working through it, but one thing I want to point out is your source voltage is wrong. e^iwc =cos(wc) +isin(wc)
    if you want to use eulers id. you want (e^iwc - e^-iwc)/2 , but that seems unnecessary, i'd just keep it v_s or something until you have your final answer, then sub in V(not)sin(wt). also it looks like complex analysis only? no time dependent ? just wondering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted