Why Does the Current Halve at This Frequency in an AC Series Circuit?

In summary, an AC series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where all components are connected in a single loop and the alternating current flows through them in the same direction. The total impedance of an AC series circuit can be calculated by adding the individual impedances of each component using the formula Z = R + jX. The phase relationship between voltage and current in an AC series circuit is 90 degrees due to the presence of inductors and capacitors. The power dissipated in an AC series circuit can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R or P = V^2 / Z. The resonance frequency of an AC series circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out,
sma235

Homework Statement

A series circuit contains only a resistor and an inductor. The voltage V of the generator is fixed. If R = 12 ohms and L = 4.5 mH, find the frequency at which the current is one-half its value at zero frequency. Note: The ac current and voltage are rms values and power is an average value unless indicated otherwise.

Homework Equations

f=sqrt(3R)/2*pi*L

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated 212.21 Hz but this was incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for the frequency is wrong. How did you get it? ehild

1. What is an AC series circuit?

An AC series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which all of the components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, are connected in a single loop or series. The alternating current (AC) flows through each component in the same direction, resulting in a constant current throughout the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the total impedance of an AC series circuit?

The total impedance of an AC series circuit can be calculated by adding the individual impedances of each component in the circuit. The formula for calculating impedance in a series circuit is Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance and X is the reactance of the component. The total impedance will depend on the values of each component and their respective frequencies.

3. What is the phase relationship between voltage and current in an AC series circuit?

In an AC series circuit, the voltage and current have a phase difference of 90 degrees. This means that the current will reach its maximum value 1/4 of a cycle after the voltage reaches its maximum value. This phase relationship is due to the presence of inductors and capacitors in the circuit, which cause the current to lag or lead the voltage.

4. How do I solve for the power dissipated in an AC series circuit?

The power dissipated in an AC series circuit can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. Alternatively, you can also use the formula P = V^2 / Z, where V is voltage and Z is impedance. The power dissipated in an AC series circuit will depend on the values of the components and their respective frequencies.

5. What is the resonance frequency of an AC series circuit?

The resonance frequency of an AC series circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a minimum impedance and maximum current. This frequency can be calculated using the formula f = 1 / (2π√LC), where f is frequency, L is inductance, and C is capacitance. At resonance, the circuit exhibits a purely resistive behavior.