Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ac to cc

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    I have a device that generate a pulsating current(2s 2A,2s 0A),
    and i would like to convert it to a continuous dc current.
    i have no idea of how to do it.

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    just have to hook up a bank of capacitors

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

... or maybe use a battery...

5. Apr 16, 2009 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Take the output through a diode to a large capacitor. Large enough so that the capacitor does not discharge significantly when it is not being charged via the diode.

For small currents and voltages, maybe a 5000 uF 25 volt capacitor and a 1 amp 400 volt diode.

The diode is there so that the capacitor cannot discharge back into the power source when it is not supplying power.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    if you need a steady dc signal then put a capacitor across the positive and negative, then run it through a voltage regulator. if you want to be able to vary the voltage then you could try an lm317, I believe you can draw 1 or two amps from it. If you want 12 volts lm7812 and for 5 volts lm7805. You can input any voltage into the voltage regulator (within reason), as long as its about a volt higher than what you want out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook