Stabilizing AC Voltage: Achieving Pure DC Output

In summary, you can rectify the AC and smooth it with capacitors to get a DC that generally tracks the AC. Then, assuming the AC doesn't really go to zero, you can use DC to DC converter technology to convert the DC to a constant DC.
athuljyothis
How to get pure DC from an ac whose voltage or amplitude is increasing by time until it reaches a particular fixed value and then drops to zero

Attachments

• 1450027486358.jpg
    1450027486358.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 393
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can't. If the AC voltage is increasing and you wish to represent this as a DC voltage then the DC voltage will be increasing as well. This implies it is no longer a DC voltage. I would say you are after a peak detector with filtering.

athuljyothis said:
How to get pure DC from an AC voltage whose voltage or amplitude is increasing by time until it reaches a particular fixed value and then drops to zero

and regardless of if the AC is varying in amplitude or not ... you are pretty much never going to get pure DC from it
there will always be some ripple

Well, I have a problem with "you can't". Generally the answer should be "you can do that, but it is complicated"

First off, let's assume you are using said AC as a power source and want a constant voltage DC output that can supply some current. (you did not explicitly state that)

You can rectify the AC and smooth it with capacitors. That will get you to a DC that generally tracks the AC. Then, assuming the AC doesn't really go to zero, you can use DC to DC converter technology to convert the DC to a constant DC. Or, use the input to charge a battery that drives a regulator.

The DC to DC converter architecture becomes complicated if your input DC can be either higher or lower than the output DC. If the input is always lower, you need a boost architecture. If the input is always higher, you need a buck architecture. If it is both, you can use a sepic converter. (and don't ask me how they work --- they just do)

You said nothing about the relationship between the AC and the desired DC, what voltage ranges you are dealing with, and what power levels to need to supply.

Likes ElijahRockers and CWatters
I guess you could use some combination of zener diodes and capacitors to smooth the peak input voltages while trying to keep the average voltage output even.
Might need a good heat sink for those diodes though.

athuljyothis said:
How to get pure DC from an ac whose voltage or amplitude is increasing by time until it reaches a particular fixed value and then drops to zero

You don't say what you want the "DC" to do? Are you just trying to detect the AC burst, so the "DC" is really just a signal indicating that AC is present, or are you trying to power something with it?

Basic rectifier and then a Buck/Boost DC to DC converter - is the simple answer, low tech - after that we need more info. When you say Pure DC, well how pure? What is the input V range and then the desired output DC?

Guys I am really sorry for the delayed reply... A big thanks for helping me

Last edited:
I am trying to charge a battery by using that converted dc like a car battery
I just do want to know if this is possible or not

And one more thing what if that ac is 3 phase.
I am just up with some basic ideas for a collage project pls do help me .

Last edited:
Battery chargers can be made to work with 3-phase AC. But it does not sound you have enough experience to do it safely. I think your best option would be to buy a battery charger designed for the AC source you have, and for the type of battery that you're charging.

You said nothing regarding the power levels, voltage levels, range of AC variation, etc.

You need to specify the project before you can conclude whether it is possible, feasible, easy, hard, what approach, etc etc etc

1. How does stabilizing AC voltage help achieve pure DC output?

Stabilizing AC voltage helps to smooth out any fluctuations or variations in the electrical signal, resulting in a more consistent and predictable output. This is essential for achieving pure DC output, as any fluctuations or noise in the AC signal can affect the quality of the DC signal.

2. What methods are commonly used to stabilize AC voltage?

There are several methods that can be used to stabilize AC voltage, including voltage regulators, transformers, and filters. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

3. Why is it important to achieve pure DC output?

Pure DC output is crucial for many electronic devices and systems, as it ensures a constant and stable power supply. This is essential for the proper functioning of sensitive electronic components and can prevent damage or malfunction due to fluctuations in voltage.

4. What are some common issues that can arise from unstable AC voltage?

Unstable AC voltage can lead to a variety of issues, including flickering lights, damaged electronics, and inaccurate readings from electrical instruments. It can also cause power outages and disruptions in electronic systems.

5. Can stabilizing AC voltage improve energy efficiency?

Yes, stabilizing AC voltage can improve energy efficiency by reducing energy waste caused by fluctuations in voltage. This is particularly important for large-scale energy systems, where even small improvements in efficiency can result in significant cost savings.