Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC Two Way Switch

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    Hello People!

So currently I have an AC input going into a capacitor and inductor in parallel, and I want the output from the capacitor and inductor to go into a switch that flips from outputting the capacitive load's output and the inductor's load output, a little diagram is shown below:
    upload_2017-4-29_12-59-9.png
    Instead of two resistors, both outputs would go into a switch with the switch's output connected to a load resistor. How could I go about making this switch and checking it in PSPICE? Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2
    switch in pspice called sw_tclose or sw_topen (N.o_Or N.C switch), both can be found in eval library

edit: the emoji stands for normally open, I can fix it but I find that amusing

4. Apr 29, 2017 #3
    Fantastic, thank you very much!

5. May 2, 2017 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

You could just monitor two outputs at the same time with a Spice program.

You would see that the inductor increases its reactance with rising frequency, so you would get less output. And the capacitor has the opposite effect.

You could observe the changes in phase that occur if you change the frequency.

However, you would miss the resonance effect that occurs when the reactances of the capacitor and inductor are equal.

For this, you could connect both the inductor and capacitor together at one end of a resistor which is connected to ground at the other end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted