1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Academia Way

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm interested in learning math as hobbyist, so I'm not planning to do professional teaching... :)
    However I'm uncertain whether I should do it via Academia or by myself. I already have a degree in computing and took several math courses, so I have the ability to teach myself and research without the need to attend classes. The problem with Academia I find it's limiting in options for advanced/mature learners, people who already poses degrees in related fields and can learn faster and more efficiently than other undergraduate students. Also, a degree program can take for long, not to mention the high costs of universities. So there's a time and money factor. And unless there's a real and strong benefits I'm unable to see for going to a university, which outweigh the downsides I mentioned, I'm seriously considering teaching myself. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook