Academic Advising for MD: Get 34 on ACT, GPA 3.9/4

• Thread starter rqureshi24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary, this person's GPA is high but they do not have an MCAT and want to attend a medical school that does not require one. They recommend going to a school that is not as competitive and have a lower GPA.
rqureshi24
Hello,

I want to be a doctor but I want to go into a straight program (one that doesn't require a MCAT). My GPA is around 3.9 out of 4 and my first ACT was 25 (with no preparation), but I take another one in June where I am going to try to get a 34.

Hypothetically, let's say I get the 34 ACT score, which colleges are the best for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably those few and far between ones that don't require the MCAT.

Are you looking to attend an US medical school?

There are a few, I think, who do not require an MCAT score, although I'm sure it would hinder your application a great deal.

A straight program? What?

You won't be special with a 3.9 GPA. We all have those. Just take the MCAT like everyone else. Get a score around 90th percentile, and do a bunch of other crap to make you seem well-rounded and mature. Then you will be an average med school matriculant. Congratulations!

USN2ENG said:
I think they might be referring to one of the BS/MD programs. Check out this list:
Yes, that is what i am talking about.

Rear Naked said:
Are you looking to attend an US medical school?

There are a few, I think, who do not require an MCAT score, although I'm sure it would hinder your application a great deal.

A straight program? What?

You won't be special with a 3.9 GPA. We all have those. Just take the MCAT like everyone else. Get a score around 90th percentile, and do a bunch of other crap to make you seem well-rounded and mature. Then you will be an average med school matriculate. Congratulations!
Yes, I am looking to attend in the US.

My weighted GPA is: ~ 4.18
My unweighted GPA: ~ 3.98

My unweighted is a ~3.9 of 4 and I am in 3 sports, NHS, volunteer at church and hospitals, and a couple clubs at school too.

A straight program would be a BS/MD program and I'm not looking to be an average med school matriculate.

How do you know you want to be a doctor?

TCNJ mannnn, my girlfriend's a SMED (seven year med program) so as long as she maintains a 3.5 every semester, she gets into this med school in new jersey that is reputable (can't remember which at the moment, something like UMDNJ). So, good luck with that

Rear Naked said:
You won't be special with a 3.9 GPA. We all have those. Just take the MCAT like everyone else. Get a score around 90th percentile, and do a bunch of other crap to make you seem well-rounded and mature. Then you will be an average med school matriculant. Congratulations!
Actually, a 3.9 GPA is pretty damn high, even by medical school standards and a 90th% MCAT is very high, well above the average MCAT of a matriculant.

Premeds drastically overestimate how hardcore what they do really is.

Jorriss said:
Actually, a 3.9 GPA is pretty damn high, even by medical school standards

Do we have to get technical? :eek: My point was that nobody will care about a 3.9 with no MCAT. A 3.9GPA and 90th percentile MCAT score will in no way "guaranteee" a slot.
Average is 3.7

Code:
and a 90th% MCAT is very high, well above the average MCAT of a matriculant. 

Premeds drastically overestimate how hardcore what they do really is.

The real average is 80-85th
This is all irrelevant though, since apparently he was talking about his high school GPA.

Good luck OP. Save yourself a year and some stress.

Last edited:

1. How important is academic advising for getting into medical school?

Academic advising is extremely important for getting into medical school. Your academic advisor can help you choose the right courses, plan your schedule, and make sure you are meeting all the requirements for medical school. They can also provide guidance and support throughout the application process.

2. What is a good GPA for medical school?

A GPA of 3.9 or higher is considered very competitive for medical school admissions. However, it is important to note that GPA is not the only factor considered by medical schools. Admissions committees also look at other factors such as extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and MCAT scores.

3. How can I improve my ACT score for medical school?

To improve your ACT score, it is important to study and prepare thoroughly for the exam. Take practice tests, review material covered on the test, and seek out resources such as tutors or prep courses. Additionally, focus on areas where you may need extra help or practice, and stay calm and focused on test day.

4. What should I do if my academic advisor is not helpful?

If you feel like your academic advisor is not providing the support and guidance you need, it may be helpful to seek out a new advisor or speak with someone in the academic advising department. You can also reach out to other resources such as professors, mentors, or upperclassmen for advice and support.

5. Can academic advising help me choose a specific medical school to apply to?

While academic advisors can provide general guidance on the medical school application process, they typically cannot recommend specific schools to apply to. It is important to do your own research and consider factors such as location, curriculum, and overall fit when choosing which medical schools to apply to.