1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Academic career advice (graduate studies).

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Luckily for me (or unluckily for me), Iv'e narrowed my topics to specalise in to: Quantum Cosmology in theoretical physics and Quantum Chaos but from the number theoretic approach, i.e pure maths.

So the problem is how to combine these two narrowed specialities?, I think I have also narrowed down two possible academic supervisors (one from the physics department and one from the maths department).

Now I have a few questions:
    1. Does it matter if I do my dissertation in the physics department or the maths departement?
    2. Should it matter that if I were to write the dissertation in one department over the other, that the other advisor is not from this deparment?
    3. One thing that bothers me is that, I am thinking of applying this year to two MSC programmes in my school (physics and maths) and after I were to finish 2/3 of my obligatory studies in each of them, if I were to continue to a PhD in one departement over the other, how would I inform each of my advisors of the other, it seems like a hassle to go between the two advisors back and forth?

Any other tips on this matter are more than welcomed.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted