Academic guidence

• Thread starter Fisicks
  • Start date
Hey guys I'm trying to decide how many classes would be doable next semester. For background info, I am a freshman at the university of maryland, and I am a math major.

How viable would it be to take a core class, a physics class (This is the second semester of a three semester, calculus based, general physics course. The subjects covered include electric and magnetic fields and potentials, simple circuits, and Maxwell’s equations in integral form.), and then 3 math classes?

The 3 I had in mind were
-341, which is a second part of a multivariable calc, linear algebra, diff eq class (http://www.math.umd.edu/undergraduate/courses/syllabi/syllabusMATH340.html" [Broken])
-410, which is called advanced calculus I (http://www.math.umd.edu/undergraduate/courses/syllabi/syllabusMATH410.html" [Broken])
- and then either intro to numbery theory or intro to abstract algebra

I realize that 5 classes with 3 math is doable, but i want to know if it will still be enjoyable if that makes sense. Also, another option is 341, number theory, and abstract algebra and then I could always take 2 maths. The ambitious side of me wants to take 3 though and I need to know if I am being unreasonable.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

fss
These kinds of questions depend almost entirely on how good you are at math/physics and how much free time you want to (not) have. Odds are taking 5 classes with 3 of them math won't be "enjoyable" but you will probably learn a lot. It's up to you.

One semester I took almost just that...a core class (political science), E&M, Advanced Cal. I (into to analysis type course), Linear Algebra, Modern Algebra and a Putnam prep course (only 1 hour a week, no homework, just for fun really). I learned a whole lot but it was quite a bit of work. Definitely doable though.

just FYI:

sometimes less is more. I took 6.5 classes (a lab is a .5) when the normal for my school is 3-4. yes, i did well in all my classes, but I didn't learn as much as I could have. i was always doing an assignment or sleeping or taking a (rare) break.
the reason was a lot of *my* learning doesn't occur when doing problems. it's when im sitting around and just tihnking about the subject.

"well could i do.... with these constraints?"
"hmmm if i modeled .... as ...., how would that compare to modeling it as .....?"
etc

just food for thought. it might apply to you. or maybe irrelevant.