1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerated charges

1. Feb 14, 2013 #1
    My days in high school are almost at an end and I don't want to run to my teachers with this question.
    So can someone please explain this to me: why an accelerated charge emits photons and loses energy?
    Links and references are also welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This radiation is present in classical electrodynamics also. Google for "Larmor formula".

4. Feb 18, 2013 #3
    Ok...that went way over my head! I haven't learnt electrodynamics yet!! So could you kindly explain what is happening without equations?

5. Feb 18, 2013 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Feb 18, 2013 #5
    thanx a lot!!! that gave me explanations to a lot of "untold stories". i admit that i need to pursue a little more of this to understand the full explanation with maths... but still, something, is much much better than nothing.
    :D

7. Feb 19, 2013 #6
    one more question... will a moving charge be influenced by the field it creates?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook