Accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research

In summary, The papers coming out on Loop Gravity and related research lines are increasing in number. I've found this boolean search method to be useful at arxiv.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Papers in Loop Gravity and related research lines are coming out at an increasing rate. I've found this boolean search method useful at arxiv. It is a way of keeping up that takes less time since it combines the key words and phrases in a single search

By searching arxiv with the same Boolean expression for 5 years:
2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and LTM, the last 12 months,
(EDIT: As of March 2, 2004)I got these annual figures

Code:
year   number of papers
2000     80
2001     86
2002    111
2003    123
LTM     132

So this is a quick method not to miss new papers in Quantum Gravity and also one possible way to gauge the growing energy in the field.

This Boolean expression fits into the arxiv search form and turns up papers in:

loop quantum gravity
spin foam
loop quantum cosmology
canonical quantum gravity
discrete quantum gravity
doubly special relativity
quantum gravity phenomenology

Here's how to enter it

1. go to the archiv search form
http://arxiv.org.
http://arxiv.org./multi?group=physics&/find=Search

2. change author and title fields to "abstract"
and the two ANDs over at the righthand side to OR

3. all three keyword fields are now directed to search
the paper's abstract, fill them in as follows

(loop AND quantum) AND (gravity OR cosmology)

(quantum AND gravity) AND ((phenomenology OR canonical) OR discrete)

(spin AND foam) OR (doubly AND special)

4. check the box that says "search all" and select the desired year

5. press "do search"
------------------------------

your browser will probably "remember" how you filled the keyword blanks out before. So having done it once, you will afterwards just have to type the first character(s), and the rest will be supplied.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QG is really in flux. It is hard to keep track of what is occurring in the field. I just came across something that seemed crazy but it was by a postdoc of Steven Carlip, or so I assume, than whom (I reckon)no one is more sensible.

There is someone called Quevedo who is at Davis and who proposes
to quantize General Relativity without using operators. He passes from classical observables to quantum observables by a recipe called deformation (references to Marc Rieffel[!] and Stefan Waldmann)

Every day or two I invoke this boolean expression at arXiv
and do search for the last 12 months and today came up with
Quevedo and Tafoya (Towards the deformation quantization of linearized gravity)

http://arxiv.org./gr-qc/0401088

and a tutorial by Stefan Waldmann (Uni Freiburg) on Deformation Quantization---this kind of quantization that doesn't use operators on a hilbertspace.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0303080

try it yourself. the field is exploding chaotically in all directions. I wonder if anyone really understands the overall shape of how it is developing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marcus, do you include hep-ph in your search? I just came across a paper on the phenomenology of LQG today.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Marcus, do you include hep-ph in your search? I just came across a paper on the phenomenology of LQG today.

Yes sA, I include all categories. Urrutia's article is an
interesting new one in phenom. Was just reading it 5 min. ago.
Maybe this was yours? field really exiciting now

I check the "search all" box
Yeah I think the one you mentioned must be
Urrutia
"Flat space modified particle dynamics..."
http://arxiv.org./abs/hep-ph/0402271
pretty well disposes of preferred frame
because of the 1.23 thousandths of the speed of light
that the solarsystem is going w/rt background
general drift of Urrutia seems to be to clear the way for DSR
(or nothing)

very pleased with this boolean seive, easy and quick to use
browser brings it back up when i want it

Last edited:

1. What is accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research?

Accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research refers to the rapid advancement and progress being made in the field of Quantum Gravity, which is a branch of physics that aims to reconcile the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity. This growth is driven by new technologies and collaborations between scientists, leading to a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of our universe.

2. Why is accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research important?

Accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research is important because it has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and answer some of the most fundamental questions in physics. It could also lead to new technologies and innovations that could impact our daily lives.

3. What are the current challenges in Quantum Gravity research?

Some of the current challenges in Quantum Gravity research include the difficulty in reconciling the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity, as well as the lack of experimental evidence to support various theories. Another challenge is the need for more powerful and precise technologies to study and test these theories.

4. How is accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research being achieved?

Accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research is being achieved through collaborations between scientists from different disciplines, advancements in technology, and the development of new theories and models. Additionally, funding and support from governments and institutions play a crucial role in promoting growth in this field.

5. What are the potential implications of accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research?

The potential implications of accelerated growth in Quantum Gravity research are vast and significant. It could lead to a better understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe, the nature of space and time, and the possibility of new technologies and applications. It could also challenge our current understanding of physics and potentially lead to paradigm-shifting discoveries.