1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerated Linear Motion

1. Sep 15, 2003 #1
    Hey, id greatly appreciate any urgent help you can give me with this problem

Two cars A and B, each 5m in length, travel with constant velocity 20 m/s along a straight level road. The front of car A is 15m directly behind the rear of car B. Immediately on reaching a point P, each car decelerates at 4m/s^2.
    1) Show that A collides with B
    2) At what distance from P does the collision occur?
    3) Show the motion of both cars on the same speed-time graph.

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2003 #2
    Please! Im seriously desperate here!
  4. Sep 15, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I know! You also posted this on the "mathematics" forum.

A crucial point here is that since each car begins decelerating when it "reaches point P", car A does not begin decelerating until AFTER car B does. In fact, since the front of car A is 20 m behind the front of car B (I assume they "reach point P" when the front of the car does) and car A is moving at 20 m/s, car A will start decelerating exactly 1 second after car B does.
    With constant deceleration of 4 m/s2 and taking t= 0 when the front of car B passes point P, vB(t) (the speed of car B at time t) is 20- 4t and so xB(t) (the distance from point P to the front of car B at time t) is 20t- 2t2.

A has the same initial speed and the same deceleration but starts a second later: vA= 20- 4(t-1) and
    xA(t)= 20(t-1)-2(t-1)2 (notice the clever use of (t-1) as the variable- I could have said the anti-derivative of 20 is 20t but then I would have to add -20 to make xA= 0 when t= 1 rather than 0.)

The two cars will collide when the FRONT of car A is at the same point as the BACK of car B. Since xB and xA are the distance from P to the fronts of the cars, the collision will happen when xB- xA= 5. Set up that equation and solve for t. Once you find that, substitute t into the equations for xB and xA to find the distances.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?