1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerated PhD Track

1. Jul 27, 2013 #1
    Hey!

Does anyone have an idea about going after BS degree toward accelerated PhD track? Is it a good call? Are there an disadvantages? Any suggestions can come in handy.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What is an accelerated PhD track?

A PhD is a research-based degree and it gets done, usually, in the time it takes to do the research. Sure, there's a handful of courses that you take as well, but those aren't what you spend most of your time on.

This notion of an "accelerated track" smells a little fishy to me, but then again, I have no idea what that really is.

4. Jul 28, 2013 #3
    ^
    Choppy, maybe the OP is referring to PhD programs in Canada or the EU. If I recall correctly, one can skip the second year of an MSc program in Canada and proceed directly into the PhD program at the discretion of one's advisor. And in the EU, post master's, one usually has 3-4 years to complete a PhD.

5. Jul 28, 2013 #4
    Well, I am, like you, ignorant of what it really is. I ran across it while surfing the university's website and couldn't contact them to get further details. But as Mepris said, it seems to me that you skip some year in Masters program. Note that: to enter this track one should have an extra-ordinary high average(over-all GPA).

Thanks for your replies!

6. Jul 28, 2013 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm Canadian. Transferring from the MSc to a PhD is common here, but I've never heard it called "accelerated" before.

Here, the way it works is that after you're a about a year into your MSc program, you may have the option of directly entering the PhD program. This is largely at the discretion of your supervisory committee and depends on your goals as a student.

If you're enjoying your field, are performing well and are poised to work on a project that can easily be extended to the PhD level, then it's a good idea. If you're struggling, or questioning your desire to spend the next five years on that particular project, then finishing with an MSc is probably a good idea because it gives you an escape route.

7. Aug 4, 2013 #6
    Well, I don't know. Many ideas just hang there, though am not deeply acknowledged about each and every issue. Now, my GPA allows me to submit to this accelerated program - the thing is it's system makes me wonder whether. How to gain PhD if one skips Masters? Is it a great chance? Should I go for it? These are the questions in mind. Thank you a lot for your reply, I sure will study all available cases.

8. Aug 4, 2013 #7
    The escape route value of the MS should not be underestimated. In my experience at my grad school about 1/2 the students who started the PhD program did not finish it for various reasons. They hopefully got their MS degrees along the way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook