1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating away from earth, time such that a light beam won't catch up with you

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You start at t=0 at rest on earth and accelerate with uniform acceleration a away form earth.
    Find a point in time [itex]t_0[/itex] such that when a beam emitted from earth at [itex]t>t_0 [/itex]won't catch up.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]x(t)=c^2/a(\sqrt{1+\frac{a^2}{c^2}t^2}-1)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that light travel with velocity c. So if the beam is emitted at [itex]t=t_1[/itex] then at time t, the beam have traveled [itex] c(t-t_1) [/itex]. So I try to find the solution for [itex]x(t)=c(t-t_1)[/itex], and I end up with the following expression for [itex]t[/itex]:
    [itex]t=\frac{a}{2c}\frac{t_1(2-a/c t_1)}{(a/c - a^2/c^2 t_1)}[/itex]

According to this the time would be negatic in the intervall [itex]t_1=c/a[/itex] and [itex]t_1=2c/a[/itex] So I think in this intevall the beam won't be able to catch up, but after [itex]t_1=2c/a[/itex] the time becomes positive again, which I don't know how to interpret.
    Am I approaching this problem the wrong way?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2
    Think about it this way: will you ever accelerate to a speed greater than that of light? If not, how can you possibly outrun light?

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3
    Well it is problem 3.9 in D'inverno Introducing Einsteins relativity. I agree that it seem impossible but the problem statement is that if you get a large enough headstart the light won't catch up.

5. Nov 18, 2012 #4
    What assumptions are you supposed to make?

6. Nov 18, 2012 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

negatic?

7. Nov 19, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should be able to show that your world line is a hyperbola. Find its asymptotes.

8. Nov 19, 2012 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note t approaches ∞ as the denominator on the right approaches 0.

9. Nov 26, 2012 #8
    Let's say you keep uniform acceleration a, relative to the stationary observer. After c/a time you will be moving at the speed of light. To keep uniform acceleration you need infinite amount of energy. I think the answer is c/a, just the problem is that you can't keep uniform acceleration.

10. Nov 26, 2012 #9
  11. Nov 28, 2012 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You've misinterpreted the problem. The acceleration is uniform relative to the moving observer. As you noted, you can't have a uniform acceleration relative to the stationary observer indefinitely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook