1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating from another car

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I pulled out in front of a car tht was going constant velocity of say 10m/s and I accelerated to 10m/s in 5 sec, is there a use for calculus to show the point of a collision if any or time safe distance required to avoid a collision?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 27, 2014 #3

Wanna point me in the right direction?

5. Jan 27, 2014 #4
    If I understand your problem correctly (I'm not an English native speaker), the simple equations of uniform accelerated motions are sufficient. These equations are easily derived from calculus but can also be figured out intuitively.

The position of a body that undergoes uniform accelerated motion is given by
    [itex]x=x_0+v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]
    where [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]v_0[/itex] are the initial position and velocity.
    If two bodies move with constant acceleration (which includes no acceleration), you just have to equate the two positions and carry out the math and you'll find out the point in which they collide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted