1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating ions in E-field

1. Jul 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming equal masses, how would the detection times of 3H+ and 3He+ compare [as they're both accelerated toward a detector in the direction of a constant E field]?

A) 3H+ would have a longer flight time than 3He+.

B) 3H+ would have a shorter flight time than 3He+.

C) 3H+ would have the same flight time as 3He+.

D) The radioactive 3H+ would always decay before detection.

2. Relevant equations

Now, I initially thought it was C: both would have the same flight time since they have equal masses and, therefore, equal velocities once PE (PE=QV) is completely converted to kinetic energy (v= sqrt(2KE/m)).

But I realized-- in an 'aha!' moment-- that, although they have equal masses, they have UNequal charge, Q. The helium ion has 2 protons and 1 e-, while the H+ ion has 1 proton and no e-. If the Q of He+ and H+ are not equal, their initial PE = QV will not be equal, so their KE will not be equal. Because He+ has a higher Q due to 2 protons, the He+ has higher initial PE and greater KE after acceleration. It's flight time to reach detector should be less (ie faster travel) than H+, which has less KE.

But C was the correct answer. Could someone point out where my reasoning is flawed? Apparently He+ and H+ have equal Q-values. Is this because they're both +1 cations? Does the ionic charge alone always tell us a particle's charge? As I understood, simply losing 1 e- (to form +1 cation) won't always equalize the charges between ions due to differential number of protons. The additional protons in He+ should account for a different (greater) overall Q compared to in H+-- no??

I guess, in the end, I'm curious how you determine an ions Q. Is Q always going to equal the overall ionic charge-- or do we need to take the number of protons into account when we have ions with equal charges?

Thanks a lot.

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

3H+ has two neutrons, one proton and no electrons. 3He+ has two protons, one neutron and one electron. The net charge of both is the same, +1. The masses are almost (but not exactly) equal - but you are told to assume they are. Hence, C. The '+' symbol is indicating total charge.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?