1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating Pulley System

1. Sep 24, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    ?temp_hash=d3d49962a18376a8bc5d246ab9c6d2c6.jpg

a1 = a2
    a1 = F/(M+m1+m2) | Force/(Mass of entire system) = acceleration of entire system
    *a2 = (m1g)/(m2+m1) | Force = m1g; acceleration of m2 and m1 = m1g/(m1+m2)

My answer: F = (m1g)(M+m1+m2)/(m2+m1)
    The book's answer: F = (m1g)(M+m1+m2)/(m2)
    *This step is what leads me to a slight variation of the book's provided answer.

I've looked through the forums, and have done a lot of thinking myself, and I believe what it comes down to is a false assumption. I understand that the force pulling m1 and m2 is m1g, and that the tension that then pulls m2 is equal to m1g, leading to an acceleration of m1g/m2 and subsequently the correct answer, but I do not understand what is incorrect about concluding that the system (looking at m2 and m1) as a whole accelerates at m1g/(m1+m2). Gut feeling tells me that the conclusion I've made is incorrect because the acceleration would be m1g/(m1+m2) in an inertial frame, but not in this case because it is part of an accelerating system.

Why does a2 = m1g/m2 rather than a2 = m1g/(m1+m2)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have here considered m1 and m2 as a system, but the force you quote is not the force on that system, it is the force on m2 only.

4. Sep 24, 2016 #3
    Is there another force that I would need to account for, such as the applied force on M?

5. Sep 24, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are forces acting from the wall on m1 and from the pulley on the rope. Computing these forces is not necessary if you chose a better system to consider.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted