1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating Wedge

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1

Radarithm

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 45 degree wedge is pushed along a table with constant acceleration A. A block of mass m slides without friction on the wedge. Find the block's acceleration. Gravity is directed down.

2. Relevant equations

Constraint Equation:
    [tex]\tan\theta=\frac{\ddot{y}}{\ddot{x}-\ddot{X}}[/tex]

Equations (p is for parallel and p2 is for perpendicular, eg. x and y directions):

[tex]F_{pb}=N\sin{\theta}=m\ddot{x}[/tex]
    [tex]F_{p^2b}=N\cos{\theta}-mg=m\ddot{y}[/tex]
    [tex]F_{pw}=F-N'\sin{\theta}=MA[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

It's embarrassing how this problem seems difficult for me; I'm probably making some fundamental error somewhere.

Newton's 3rd Law: [itex]N=N'[/itex]
    [tex]N=\frac{m\ddot{x}}{\sin{\theta}}=\frac{m(g+\ddot{y})}{\cos{\theta}}[/tex]

Because the angle is 45 degrees, the tangent of theta is just 1. Solving for the x acceleration, we get:
    [tex]\ddot{x}=(g+\ddot{y})[/tex]

Now, according to the constraint equation, the acceleration in the y direction is equal to the tangent of theta times the x acceleration of the block minus the x acceleration of the wedge itself. Following the constraint equation, I get:
    [tex]\ddot{y}=(g+\ddot{y})-A[/tex]

(tangent of 45 is 1). There is no way to solve for the y acceleration here. If, back when I solved for the normal force, I included the tangent of theta, I would've been able to solve for the acceleration but I would have to divide by zero, which means there is no y acceleration. The hint, however, states otherwise: If A = 3g then the y acceleration is g. Where am I going wrong? I'm going to try and solve for the y acceleration instead of the x acceleration first and see where that takes me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

Radarithm

Gold Member

I've reached a rather strange conclusion; I solved for the y acceleration in from the normal force equation (2 of them):
    [tex]\frac{m\ddot{x}}{\cos{\theta}}=\frac{m(g+\ddot{y})}{\sin{\theta}}[/tex]
    [tex]\ddot{y}=\ddot{x}-g[/tex]

From the constraint equation:
    [tex](\ddot{x}-\ddot{X})\tan{\theta}=\ddot{y}=\ddot{x}-g[/tex]

Solving for x, we get:
    [tex]\ddot{x}=\frac{-\ddot{X}\tan{\theta}}{(1-\tan{\theta})}-g[/tex]

If A is 3g, then the y acceleration must be g; this equation shows that, but it is for the x direction. When I plug it into the y equation, things don't make any sense.

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3

Radarithm

Gold Member

I feel like I'm making a mistake that deals with inertial reference frames; bump?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted