What is the ratio of tension in a train's coupling for a nonzero acceleration?

In summary, the car with the larger mass has a tension force that is two times greater than the tension force on the car with the smaller mass.
jena
Hi,
Question:
A train locomotive is putting two cars of the same mass behind it. Determine the ratio of the tension in the coupling between the locomotive and the first car(FT1) to that between the first car and the second car (FT2), for any nonzero acceleration of the train.

Work:
F=ma
Car 1:FN- M1G=m1*a
Car 2:FN- M2G=m2*a

2FN- M1G- M2G=m1*a+m2*a

Answer:a=(-g(m1+m2))/(m1+m2))

Is this correct?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
jena said:
Car 1:FN- M1G=m1*a
Car 2:FN- M2G=m2*a

How did you get those two equations? The acceleration of the cars are in the horizontal direction (ie, x-direction). But gravity acts in the vertical direction (ie, y-direction).
Also what about the Tension in the ropes? The question asks for the ratio of the Tension in the ropes (or couplings), not the acceleration of the cars.

So, to approach any problem of this type, the first step is to draw a Force diagram. Draw separate Force diagrams for each car and clearly mark the various forces acting on the cars.
Now apply Newton's second law separately on each car.
What is the relation between the accelerations of the two cars and why?
From this you will be able to calculate the ratio of the tensions.

Hi,
I did like you said and made a free body diagram. I made a table of my cars:

Car2
x Y
Fn 0 Fn
Fg 0 -mg
T2 T2 0

Car 1
x Y
Fn 0 Fn
Fg 0 -mg
T2 -T2 0
T1 T1

Car
x Y
Fn 0 Fn
Fg 0 -mg
T1 -T1 0

Then from the table I calculated the x and y components of the tensions, using Newton's second law FT=ma

Car 2
F=T2=ma,since a=a
F=Fn=mg, since a=o

Car 1
F=T2=ma,since a=a
F=Fn=mg, since a=o

Car
F=-T1=ma,since a=a
F=Fn=mg, since a=o

From here I'm kind of lost on how to calculate a ratio of these components to help me arrive at a answer of a 2 to 1 ratio.

Please help and Thank you

Last edited:
The vertical components all cancel, you need not worry about those. What you need to worry about are the horizontal forces, namely the tension force pulling each cart. This is basically the n-block string problem.

The force acting on the LAST cart is just the tension in the second coupling. The forrces on the second cart are the tension in the couplings on either side of it, and the force on the entire system is coming from the engine.

Use Newton's 2nd Law on all 3 to fidn expressions for the tension.

Look at the picture I attached to see the Free body diagram for this problem.

Apply Newton's second law for CAR 1 in the x-direction. What are the forces acting on it? T1 acts to the right and T2 acts to the left. So the net force acting on it is T1-T2.

By Newton's second law,
T1-T2=ma - Equation I

Apply Newton's second law for CAR 2 in the x-direction. What are the forces acting on it? T2 acts to the right.
Therefore, by Newton's second law
T2=ma - Equation II

From this you should be able to find the ratio of the Tensions.
If you have a problem with any of the steps, do post and tell what the problem is.

Attachments

• yup.jpg
    yup.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,477

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How does acceleration relate to a train?

In the context of a train, acceleration refers to the increase or decrease in the train's speed. It is a measure of how quickly the train is gaining or losing velocity.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a train?

The acceleration of a train can be affected by the force of the train's engine, the weight and size of the train, the friction between the train and the tracks, and any external forces such as wind or inclines.

4. How is acceleration measured on a train?

Acceleration can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as accelerometers or speedometers. These devices can track changes in velocity and calculate acceleration based on the change in time.

5. Why is acceleration important in the context of a train?

Acceleration is important in the context of a train because it affects the train's speed, which in turn affects its ability to reach its destination in a timely and efficient manner. It also plays a crucial role in the safety and stability of the train, as sudden changes in acceleration can cause the train to derail or lose control.