1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Acceleration and force

1. Aug 1, 2017 #1
    Consider a body of mass m at rest,then if I apply force f1 on that then it accelerates and attains a velocity of v1.then I remove that force..now the body is in uniform motion.if I apply a force f2 which is less than f1, then body will be accelerated or retardated?I know if same f1 is applied then acceleration will be the previous same value,and if I apply force greater than f1 then it will be accelerated ( but not uniform)..what about f2 less than f1

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, if you applied f2 in a direction opposite that of the body's motion, then yes it would be retarded/decelerated.

4. Aug 1, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That depends on the direction of F2.

Yes. If you apply F1 again the acceleration will be the same a2 = a1.

If you apply a force F2 > F1 the object will accelerate faster so a2 > a1. However if the new force is constant the new acceleration will also be constant (=uniform).

If F2 < F1 the new acceleration will be less than before, a2 < a1

All you need to remember is Newton's Law...
    F = ma
    so
    a = F/m

The fact that the mass is moving does not change law.

5. Aug 1, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

F=ma, period. It doesn't remember previous action and doesn't know anything about speed.

6. Aug 1, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Even more importantly ##\vec{F}=m \vec{a}##, i.e., force and acceleration are both vectors!

7. Aug 1, 2017 #6
    Start with the velocity equation in case of constant acceleration:

v
    (t) = v(t = t0) + a⋅(t - t0)

The body of mass m is moving with v1 when you, at time t2, suddenly apply a force f2 to the body. The acceleration is then a = f2/m. You get

v(t) = v(t = t2) + f2/m⋅(t - t2) = v1 + f2/m⋅(t - t2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted