Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Acceleration and force

1. Aug 1, 2017 #1
    Consider a body of mass m at rest,then if I apply force f1 on that then it accelerates and attains a velocity of v1.then I remove that force..now the body is in uniform motion.if I apply a force f2 which is less than f1, then body will be accelerated or retardated?I know if same f1 is applied then acceleration will be the previous same value,and if I apply force greater than f1 then it will be accelerated ( but not uniform)..what about f2 less than f1

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, if you applied f2 in a direction opposite that of the body's motion, then yes it would be retarded/decelerated.

4. Aug 1, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That depends on the direction of F2.

Yes. If you apply F1 again the acceleration will be the same a2 = a1.

If you apply a force F2 > F1 the object will accelerate faster so a2 > a1. However if the new force is constant the new acceleration will also be constant (=uniform).

If F2 < F1 the new acceleration will be less than before, a2 < a1

All you need to remember is Newton's Law...
    F = ma
    so
    a = F/m

The fact that the mass is moving does not change law.

5. Aug 1, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

F=ma, period. It doesn't remember previous action and doesn't know anything about speed.

6. Aug 1, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Even more importantly ##\vec{F}=m \vec{a}##, i.e., force and acceleration are both vectors!

7. Aug 1, 2017 #6
    Start with the velocity equation in case of constant acceleration:

v
    (t) = v(t = t0) + a⋅(t - t0)

The body of mass m is moving with v1 when you, at time t2, suddenly apply a force f2 to the body. The acceleration is then a = f2/m. You get

v(t) = v(t = t2) + f2/m⋅(t - t2) = v1 + f2/m⋅(t - t2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted