Photon Acceleration Near Gravitational Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of gravity on light. It is explained that gravity affects an object's energy and for light, this means a change in wavelength. The concept of geodesics and gravitational lensing is also mentioned. It is concluded that light does experience a change in direction due to gravity, but not a change in speed. There is also a reference to an equation for calculating the acceleration of light in a gravitational field.
big_bounce
Hello all ,

When a photon gets closer and closer to black hole , gravity affects photon and changes direction of photon's moving .
Is that mean photon gets acceleration near gravitational field ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Gravity affects, directly, an object's energy. For "massive" objects, that means primarily its kinetic energy and so its speed. For light, which has no mass, the energy is plank's constant, h, times the speed of light, c, divided by the wave length of the light. h and c are constants so, if the energy increases, the wavelength decreases.

Yes, obviously light flying by a massive body changes direction and hence is accelerated, at least transversally. However the gravitational interaction with light is more complicated than with massive bodies. E.g. two light beam traveling parallel to each other won't attract each other but counter propagating rays do.

Light always travel at a constant speed 'c' locally in a vacuum...and it always follows a null geodesic [space-time path].

See 'gravitational lensing',

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lensing

You can also read about the energy of light via 'gravitational redshift' or 'gravitational blueshift'...

big_bounce said:
Is that mean photon gets acceleration near gravitational field ?

The acceleration is

[itex]\vec a = \frac{2}{u} \cdot \vec v \cdot \left( {\vec v \cdot grad\;u} \right) - u \cdot grad\;u[/itex]

where u is the "local speed of light" according to the Shapiro delay.

Any more idea ?
I didn't get clear answer .
Yes or no ?

HallsofIvy said:
No. Gravity affects, directly, an object's energy. For "massive" objects, that means primarily its kinetic energy and so its speed. For light, which has no mass, the energy is plank's constant, h, times the speed of light, c, divided by the wave length of the light. h and c are constants so, if the energy increases, the wavelength decreases.

I didn't talking about energy of photon .
I just want to know , does it get acceleration or not ?
If not , why ?
According to Newton's first law of motion we know objects in motion tend to stay in motion with the same speed and the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
If we consider gravity a force, gravity must change direction of photon's moving .

Thank you

Naty1 said:
Light always travel at a constant speed 'c' locally in a vacuum...and it always follows a null geodesic [space-time path].

You can also read about the energy of light via 'gravitational redshift' or 'gravitational blueshift'...

So you say when gravity affects photon , photon didn't changing it's direction and just follow space-time path ? and follow space-time path does not mean changing direction ?
Thank you

DrStupid said:
The acceleration is

[itex]\vec a = \frac{2}{u} \cdot \vec v \cdot \left( {\vec v \cdot grad\;u} \right) - u \cdot grad\;u[/itex]

where u is the "local speed of light" according to the Shapiro delay.
I searched internet but i couldn't find this equation
Can you give a link from University website ?
Thank you .

Last edited:
Quote by Naty1

So you say when gravity affects photon , photon didn't changing it's direction and just follow space-time path ?

I'm not sure what you are saying here..it seems self contradictory.

Did you read the definition of a 'geodesic' or the link to 'gravitational lensing' ? They explain in more detail.

Gravity does cause a photon to follow a curved path when viewed from a distance...

and follow space-time path does not mean changing direction?

It can do both.

I just want to know , does it get acceleration or not ?
If not , why ?

yes, because the direction is changed, hence the velocity direction...but not the speed...

uniform circular motion, as an example, such as the rotation on the circumference of a rotating circle has constant acceleration and speed...but we say the velocity is constantly changing because the direction of motion is constantly changing.

The answer depends a bit on the question you are asking and the level at which you are asking it.

The speed of the light does not change in a gravitational field, if that is what you are asking. Instead, its wavelength and frequency change as HallsOfIvy said. However, light can change direction and you might call that an acceleration. Certainly it would be called an acceleration by Newton, but Newton's theory of gravity provides no mechanism for gravity to interact with light.

General Relativity does provide a mechanism, but it's a bit more complex. In GR, gravity is not a force. It is the geometry of spacetime. The basic concept is that everything moves along paths called "geodesics" unless there is a force acting. If there's no gravity, geodesics are straight lines, and objects move in straight lines. When there is gravity, geodesics are curved lines so objects follow curved paths (for example, the trajectory of a thrown ball is a geodesic). Whether or not following that curved path is an acceleration depends on your definition of acceleration - some people make a distinction between "proper acceleration" (when a force is acting) and "coordinate acceleration" (when spacetime is a funny shape) to avoid confusion.

Is that a straight enough answer? Or was it a curved geodesic? :smile:

big_bounce said:
I searched internet but i couldn't find this equation

I derived it for gradient-index optics using the Huygens–Fresnel principle. Unfortunately I didn't kept the calculation. I just remember it was a little bit tricky.

Ibix said:
Is that a straight enough answer? Or was it a curved geodesic? :smile:

Good explanation .
Thanks for giving me your time and thanks all .

What is photon acceleration near gravitational fields?

Photon acceleration near gravitational fields refers to the phenomenon where photons, or particles of light, gain energy as they pass through a strong gravitational field. This effect is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been observed in various astrophysical settings.

How does photon acceleration near gravitational fields occur?

According to general relativity, massive objects such as stars and black holes create a curvature in spacetime. As photons travel through this curved spacetime, they experience a change in their path and gain energy in the process. This effect is known as gravitational redshift.

What are the implications of photon acceleration near gravitational fields?

The acceleration of photons near gravitational fields has important implications in astrophysics. It can affect the observed spectra of light from distant sources, allowing us to study the properties of massive objects such as black holes. It also plays a crucial role in phenomena such as gravitational lensing, where the path of light is distorted by the gravitational field of a massive object.

Can photon acceleration near gravitational fields be observed on Earth?

Yes, photon acceleration near gravitational fields has been observed on Earth in various experiments. The most famous example is the Pound-Rebka-Snider experiment, which showed the gravitational redshift of photons in a laboratory setting. However, the effect is much more pronounced in extreme gravitational environments such as those found near black holes.

How does photon acceleration near gravitational fields affect the concept of time dilation?

In general relativity, the curvature of spacetime near massive objects not only affects the path of photons but also the flow of time. This means that time runs slower for observers in a strong gravitational field compared to those in a weaker field. The effect of photon acceleration near gravitational fields must be taken into account when calculating the precise amount of time dilation in a given scenario.