1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration and time of blocks with friction acting

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    Can anyone help me with this problem. I know that I need to find the total total forces for both blocks and combine them to solve for the acceleration and then use the acceleration to find the time. The problem is that I can't seem to get the correct value for the final answer. Thanks in advance

1.The lower block in the figure is pulled on by a rope with a tension force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the surface is 0.30. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the upper block is also 0.30.

What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay.Post some of your work/ideas and we'll where and if you went wrong...

4. Mar 7, 2005 #3
    I am not sure how to post the work with the correct icons. What I have done is taken the total forces on block(1kg) and block(2kg).

1.Netforce on Block 1= friction(between blocks 1 and 2) - tension= ma
    2.Netforce on block 2= 20N-tension-friction(between blocks 1 and 2)-friction(block 2 and surface)

Then I solved the first equation for tension and substituted into the 2nd and solved for the acceleration, but did not get the right answer
  5. Mar 7, 2005 #4
    Nevermind. I figured out the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?