Acceleration and time of blocks with friction acting

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the total forces for two blocks, combining them to solve for acceleration, and using the acceleration to find the time. The issue is that the correct value for the final answer cannot be obtained, but the problem is eventually solved.
cde42003
Can anyone help me with this problem. I know that I need to find the total total forces for both blocks and combine them to solve for the acceleration and then use the acceleration to find the time. The problem is that I can't seem to get the correct value for the final answer. Thanks in advance

1.The lower block in the figure is pulled on by a rope with a tension force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the surface is 0.30. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the upper block is also 0.30.

What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    42.7 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay.Post some of your work/ideas and we'll where and if you went wrong...

Daniel.

I am not sure how to post the work with the correct icons. What I have done is taken the total forces on block(1kg) and block(2kg).

1.Netforce on Block 1= friction(between blocks 1 and 2) - tension= ma
2.Netforce on block 2= 20N-tension-friction(between blocks 1 and 2)-friction(block 2 and surface)

Then I solved the first equation for tension and substituted into the 2nd and solved for the acceleration, but did not get the right answer

Nevermind. I figured out the problem.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration affected by friction?

Friction can act to slow down or oppose the motion of an object, therefore reducing its acceleration. The amount of friction depends on the surface materials and the force pressing the surfaces together.

3. How does friction affect the time for a block to move?

Friction can increase the time it takes for a block to move by slowing down its acceleration. This means that it will take longer for the block to reach its final velocity.

4. What factors affect the friction acting on a block?

The amount of friction acting on a block depends on the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the block, and the force pushing the block.

5. How can friction be reduced to increase acceleration?

Friction can be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by applying a lubricant between the surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object or increasing the applied force can also decrease friction and increase acceleration.