Calculating Time for Acceleration of Motorcycle Cop

In summary, a motorcycle cop is passed by a woman in a red Ferrari while reading a magazine on the side of a highway. After a few attempts to start his cycle, the cop catches the Ferrari at the state line 2.00 km away after reaching a top speed of 211. km/hr. The question asks for the cop's acceleration during the time he was accelerating, but without the total time provided, the solution is difficult to determine. Knowing the total time would allow for the use of the acceleration equation (v0t + 0.5at^2).
hahame

Homework Statement

A motorcycle cop, parked at the side of a highway reading a magazine, is passed by a woman in a red Ferrari 308 GTS doing 176. km/h. After a few attempts to get his cycle started, the officer roars off 2.00 s later and catches the Ferrari at the state line 2.00 km away some time after attaining his top speed of 211. km/hr. What was his acceleration during the time he was accelerating?

Homework Equations

I thought total time should be provided to be able to solve this problem, but it is not.
So I got really stuck..

The Attempt at a Solution

If the total time is given, I would put 2000m as delta position(dx) and use the acceleration equation (v0t + 0.5at^2).

I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hahame said:

Homework Statement

A motorcycle cop, parked at the side of a highway reading a magazine, is passed by a woman in a red Ferrari 308 GTS doing 176. km/h. After a few attempts to get his cycle started, the officer roars off 2.00 s later and catches the Ferrari at the state line 2.00 km away some time after attaining his top speed of 211. km/hr. What was his acceleration during the time he was accelerating?

Homework Equations

I thought total time should be provided to be able to solve this problem, but it is not.
So I got really stuck..

The Attempt at a Solution

If the total time is given, I would put 2000m as delta position(dx) and use the acceleration equation (v0t + 0.5at^2).

I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

What's stopping you calculating the time? Hint: there are two vehicles involved.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity minus initial velocity) by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. Positive acceleration is represented by a positive value, while negative acceleration is represented by a negative value in equations.

4. How does acceleration relate to time?

The longer an object accelerates, the greater its change in velocity will be. This means that acceleration and time are directly proportional - as time increases, so does the change in velocity, and therefore the acceleration.

5. Why is time important in understanding acceleration?

Time is an essential factor in understanding acceleration because it helps determine the rate of change of an object's velocity. Without considering time, we cannot accurately measure or calculate acceleration, which is crucial in understanding the motion of objects.