1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration and velocity

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    a turtle is moving with a constant acceleration along a straight ditch. He starts a stopwatch as the turtle passes a fence post and notes that it takes him 10s to reach a pine tree 10m farther along a ditch. as the turtle passes the pine tree, his speed is 1.2m/s.

how far was he from the fence post when he started from rest??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    Attempt this at least. If you have to draw a diagram. Once I see that you have at least tried I can give you a hand.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    i did try it,but i dont know it what i did is right, because i let 1.2 be the final velocity of the segment of motion where time and displacement is given, to find acceleration. But i dont know if what i did is right... =[

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    Ok the first thing you need to do is to identify all the variables you know and you don't know. Once you do that you can narrow down the equations you can use.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    ok, so first: i did a diagram divided into 3 sec:
    1- when the turtle is going at constant acceleration (only initial velocity is given = 0)
    2- when he gets to the fence (where time and displacement is given t=10 , d=10)
    3- where he passes the tree (only velocity = 1.2m/s) is given =]

in section 1- i dont have acceleration and displ.
    2- no velocity
    3- no acceleration, and displacement

7. Nov 16, 2009 #6
    since i have velocity in sec3, i can used it as vf for section 2..is that right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook