How Far Was the Turtle from the Fence Post at the Start?

In summary, the conversation discusses a turtle moving with constant acceleration along a straight ditch. The turtle starts a stopwatch as it passes a fence post and reaches a pine tree 10m away in 10 seconds. Its speed is 1.2m/s when it passes the pine tree. The question asks for how far the turtle was from the fence post when it started from rest. The conversation also mentions using a diagram and identifying known and unknown variables to narrow down the equations that can be used to solve the problem.
tiffanyg
a turtle is moving with a constant acceleration along a straight ditch. He starts a stopwatch as the turtle passes a fence post and notes that it takes him 10s to reach a pine tree 10m farther along a ditch. as the turtle passes the pine tree, his speed is 1.2m/s.

how far was he from the fence post when he started from rest??

Physics news on Phys.org
Attempt this at least. If you have to draw a diagram. Once I see that you have at least tried I can give you a hand.

i did try it,but i don't know it what i did is right, because i let 1.2 be the final velocity of the segment of motion where time and displacement is given, to find acceleration. But i don't know if what i did is right... =[

Ok the first thing you need to do is to identify all the variables you know and you don't know. Once you do that you can narrow down the equations you can use.

ok, so first: i did a diagram divided into 3 sec:
1- when the turtle is going at constant acceleration (only initial velocity is given = 0)
2- when he gets to the fence (where time and displacement is given t=10 , d=10)
3- where he passes the tree (only velocity = 1.2m/s) is given =]

in section 1- i don't have acceleration and displ.
2- no velocity
3- no acceleration, and displacement

since i have velocity in sec3, i can used it as vf for section 2..is that right?

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, while velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or in units of gravity (g). It can also be measured with specialized equipment such as accelerometers.

3. What factors affect an object's acceleration?

An object's acceleration is affected by its mass and the net force acting on it. The direction of the net force also determines the direction of the object's acceleration.

4. Can an object have a constant velocity and still be accelerating?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and still be accelerating if the direction of its velocity is changing. This is known as uniform circular motion.

5. How does acceleration relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the net force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Additionally, Newton's First Law states that an object will maintain a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, which means that an object with no net force acting on it will have zero acceleration.