1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration & arc length

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that d^2 R / dt^2 is NOT a scalar which is a multiple of d^2 R / ds^2 where R is a vector, s is arc length

2. Relevant equations and 3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the fact k = |d^2 R / ds^2|
    a = d^2 R / dt^2 = d|v|/dt * T + k |v|^2 N
    so perhaps intuitively it can't be a multiple??? I'm not really sure how to go about this.....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2
    Parameterize R as a function of s and note that s is a function of t. Then apply the chain rule.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    How does parameterizing show that for the second derivative?

Also, how would you do it when you aren't given a function?

s = int[dR/dt]dt from 0 to t ... but I don't see how you can really go from there

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4
    Let R be a function of s and s be a function of t. Then the second derivative of R with respect to s is [itex]\frac{d^2R}{ds^2}[/itex]. What is the second derivative of R with respect to t (Just use the chain rule)? Is it a scalar multiple of [itex]\frac{d^2R}{ds^2}[/itex]?

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    That's what I'm asking. I don't know how to properly show it.

s = int[dR/dt]dt from 0 to t
    Thus, s(t)

Given d^2 R / ds^2
    = d^2 R / ds^2 * ds^2 / dt^2 = d^2 R / dt^2 by the chain rule
    Is that what you mean?

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6
    That formula is not true. The chain rule applies to a single derivative only, not to second derivatives. You can, however, apply the chain rule to
    [tex]\frac{d^2 R}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dR}{dt}\right)[/tex]
    to find it in terms of dR/ds. Remember R is a function of s and s is a function of t, so you have R(s(t)).

8. Feb 22, 2009 #7
    Doesn't that imply that it is a multiple, when the whole point is to show that it is not?

That is why I am still confused. I understand using the chain rule to show:
    d/ds (dR/ds) = d^2 R / ds^2
    or
    d/dt (dR/dt) = d^2 R / dt^2
    But not how it is used to show that the second isn't a multiple of the first.

9. Feb 22, 2009 #8
    d/dt is not a number, it is a differential operator. Note that dR/dt = (dR/ds)(ds/dt) by the chain rule. You then have to find (d/dt)[(dR/ds)(ds/dt)] for which you will have to use the product rule.

10. Feb 22, 2009 #9
    Thank you. It makes A LOT more sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook