Is Acceleration a Scalar Multiple of Arc Length?

In summary, the conversation discussed how to show that the second derivative of a vector R with respect to time, d^2 R / dt^2, is not a scalar multiple of the second derivative of R with respect to arc length, d^2 R / ds^2. This was done by parameterizing R as a function of s and using the chain rule to find the second derivative with respect to t. It was also noted that the product rule must be used to find the derivative of a product.
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

Show that d^2 R / dt^2 is NOT a scalar which is a multiple of d^2 R / ds^2 where R is a vector, s is arc length

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the fact k = |d^2 R / ds^2|
a = d^2 R / dt^2 = d|v|/dt * T + k |v|^2 N
so perhaps intuitively it can't be a multiple? I'm not really sure how to go about this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Parameterize R as a function of s and note that s is a function of t. Then apply the chain rule.

How does parameterizing show that for the second derivative?

Also, how would you do it when you aren't given a function?

s = int[dR/dt]dt from 0 to t ... but I don't see how you can really go from there

Last edited:
Let R be a function of s and s be a function of t. Then the second derivative of R with respect to s is [itex]\frac{d^2R}{ds^2}[/itex]. What is the second derivative of R with respect to t (Just use the chain rule)? Is it a scalar multiple of [itex]\frac{d^2R}{ds^2}[/itex]?

That's what I'm asking. I don't know how to properly show it.

s = int[dR/dt]dt from 0 to t
Thus, s(t)

Given d^2 R / ds^2
= d^2 R / ds^2 * ds^2 / dt^2 = d^2 R / dt^2 by the chain rule
Is that what you mean?

jaejoon89 said:
Given d^2 R / ds^2
= d^2 R / ds^2 * ds^2 / dt^2 = d^2 R / dt^2 by the chain rule
Is that what you mean?
That formula is not true. The chain rule applies to a single derivative only, not to second derivatives. You can, however, apply the chain rule to
[tex]\frac{d^2 R}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dR}{dt}\right)[/tex]
to find it in terms of dR/ds. Remember R is a function of s and s is a function of t, so you have R(s(t)).

Last edited:
Doesn't that imply that it is a multiple, when the whole point is to show that it is not?

That is why I am still confused. I understand using the chain rule to show:
d/ds (dR/ds) = d^2 R / ds^2
or
d/dt (dR/dt) = d^2 R / dt^2
But not how it is used to show that the second isn't a multiple of the first.

jaejoon89 said:
Doesn't that imply that it is a multiple, when the whole point is to show that it is not?

That is why I am still confused. I understand using the chain rule to show:
d/ds (dR/ds) = d^2 R / ds^2
or
d/dt (dR/dt) = d^2 R / dt^2
But not how it is used to show that the second isn't a multiple of the first.

d/dt is not a number, it is a differential operator. Note that dR/dt = (dR/ds)(ds/dt) by the chain rule. You then have to find (d/dt)[(dR/ds)(ds/dt)] for which you will have to use the product rule.

Thank you. It makes A LOT more sense now.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is the measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The standard unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curved line or arc. It is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated by multiplying the radius of the circle by the angle in radians. The formula is s = r * θ, where s is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the angle in radians.

How are acceleration and arc length related?

Acceleration and arc length are related through the concept of circular motion. When an object is accelerating in a circular path, its acceleration and arc length are directly proportional. This means that as the acceleration increases, the arc length also increases at the same rate.