Why Must Acceleration Be Constant for the Equation v² = u² + 2as?

In summary: Recall that v = u + at is a straight line. For the this exercise of finding the area, assume that both u and a are positive. So the area under that line is a triangle on top of a rectangle. The rectangle has a length of t and a height of u . The triangle on top of it has length of t and a height of at . So what's the total area? (i.e. what is the sum of the areas of the triangle and rectangle)?The area of the triangle is t² + u² + 2at², and the area of the
air-in
Warning: Template must be used for homework help.
An object has initial speed u and acceleration a. After traveling a distance s, its final speed is v.
Which of the following includes the two conditions necessary for the equation, v^2 = u^2 +2as, to apply?

I know the answer is a has constant magnitude and a has constant direction, but I am not sure why. Could someone please explain this to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello air-in,

Welcome to PF! :)

air-in said:
An object has initial speed u and acceleration a. After traveling a distance s, its final speed is v.
Which of the following includes the two conditions necessary for the equation, v^2 = u^2 +2as, to apply?

I know the answer is a has constant magnitude and a has constant direction, but I am not sure why. Could someone please explain this to me?

Before we proceed further, what level of mathematics is used in your class/coursework? Is calculus required for your coursework material? How about differential equations?

Is the "why" part of the assigned problem, or are you just curious?

collinsmark said:
Hello air-in,

Welcome to PF! :)
Before we proceed further, what level of mathematics is used in your class/coursework? Is calculus required for your coursework material? How about differential equations?

Is the "why" part of the assigned problem, or are you just curious?

I am currently taking calculus, and we have used differential equations. However, I believe either Algebra 2/Trig or Precalc is required for the course.
I am choosing to do test corrections, and the "why" part is mandatory.

air-in said:
I am currently taking calculus, and we have used differential equations. However, I believe either Algebra 2/Trig or Precalc is required for the course.
I am choosing to do test corrections, and the "why" part is mandatory.

This might get a little difficult without calculus, since the equation was derived using calculus, under the assumption that the acceleration is uniform. Never fear though, it may be possible to explain without calculus.

You can derive the uniform acceleration, kinematics equation, [itex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/itex] by combining other kinematics equations for uniform acceleration. I'll let you do that yourself, but first I'd like to take a look at one of the more simple, uniform acceleration, kinematics equations.

Consider another uniform acceleration, kinematics equation:

[tex] v = u + at [/tex]

Make a graph of [itex] v [/itex] vs. [itex] t [/itex]. Notice that it's a straight line (of the form y = mx + b, with simple substitutions).

What is the slope of the line? How does the slope of that line relate to acceleration?

(And what is the area under the curve? [we might come back to this later])

Can you see how that [itex] v = u + at [/itex] would not necessarily hold true if the value of the acceleration varied with time? [Assuming you only get to use a single value for a].

Last edited:
In my last post I made mention of calculating the area under the curve. It turns out that is pretty important to the "why" part.

Recall that [itex] v = u + at [/itex] is a straight line. For the this exercise of finding the area, assume that both [itex] u [/itex] and [itex] a [/itex] are positive.

So the area under that line is a triangle on top of a rectangle.

The rectangle has a length of [itex] t [/itex] and a height of [itex] u [/itex].

The triangle on top of it has length of [itex] t [/itex] and a height of [itex] at [/itex].

So what's the total area? (i.e. what is the sum of the areas of the triangle and rectangle)?

This process of finding the area under the line might seem like a lot of busywork, but it is important for the next step when we come back to the [itex] v^2 = u^2 +2as [/itex] equation.

What assumption did you make when calculating the area under the line? Would the answer be the same if the line was not straight?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is defined as the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

2. How does acceleration relate to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

4. Can an object have a constant speed and still be accelerating?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed and still be accelerating if its direction of motion is changing. This is because acceleration takes into account changes in velocity, not just changes in speed.

5. What are some common examples of acceleration in everyday life?

Some common examples of acceleration in everyday life include a car accelerating from a stop, a roller coaster speeding up and slowing down, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool.