1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration due to gravity at centre of hemisphere

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the acceleration due to gravity at the centre of a solid hemisphere.
    2. Relevant equations

##F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}##
    3. The attempt at a solution

i decided to go for cylindrical coordinayes (which is way beyond my syllabus). I did some research though.
    let me take a point P(r,θ,z) inside the sphere amd an elemental volume dV at P. This P exerts a force dF. But there is also a point Q(r,θ+180°,z) which cancells out the horizontal component of dF. let the line OP make an angle φ with the Z axis. (assuming the hemisphere lies on the xy plane with centre at O)
    ##dg=\frac{Gdm}{r^2+z^2}cos\phi##
    ##dg=\frac{G\rho dV}{{(r^2+z^2)}^{3/2}}##
    now dV=dz.dr.rdθ
    Is this expresion for dV true for all cases? how do you get that expression for dV?
    (i found that expression on some video).

now i have to integrate the expression.
    so $$g=\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^R\int_{z=0}^?f(r,\theta,z)dz.dr.rd\theta$$
    im finding it difficult to find upper limit for z.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2
    Why not use spherical coordinates [itex](r,\theta,\varphi)[/itex] instead? It's a lot easier to get the integration limits in that case.

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    i will try. but what about the expression for dV in cylindrical coordinates and the upper limit for z?

5. May 16, 2015 #4
    Well since the equation of a hemisphere is [itex]0<x^2+y^2+z^2<R^2[/itex] with [itex]z>0[/itex], if you use the fact that [itex]x^2+y^2=r^2[/itex], you get [itex]0<z<\sqrt{R^2-r^2}[/itex] where r is a variable, and R is a constant (the radius). Also, the expression for dV is correct, and is only valid in cylindrical coordinates. For more general coordinates you need to calculate the Jacobian of transformation, here's a good start, see the "Examples" section.

6. May 16, 2015 #5
    why is it dz.dr.rdθ? is it the volume of a small cylinder?

7. May 16, 2015 #6
    Basically it's the volume of an infinitesimal cylindrical shell with mean radius r, thickness dr and height dz (think of a ring with a rectangular cross section).

8. May 16, 2015 #7
    then its volume should be 2πr.dr.dz.

9. May 16, 2015 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cylindrical coordinates are fine. But, consider integrating over r first and then z. The upper limit of r will depend on z.

10. May 16, 2015 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe you left out something when substituting for ##\cos \phi##. Not that your final expression for dg does not have the correct dimensions for acceleration.

11. May 16, 2015 #10
    Ah yes, my apologies. Think of a chunk of a ring with the ring being cut along the diameter, from two infinitesimally close diameters. Then the volume element is [itex]dV=rdrd\theta dz[/itex]. Basically the r term comes from the Jacobian, which is required in order for the volume element be invariant when performing a coordinate transform [itex](x,y,z)\rightarrow(r,\theta,z)[/itex], so [itex]dV=dxdydz\rightarrow dV'=|J|drd\theta dz=rdrd\theta dz[/itex].

12. May 17, 2015 #11
    sorry. its a typo. i left out the term 'z' in the numerator.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  13. May 17, 2015 #12
    Do you have picture of this? its difficult to visualize.

14. May 17, 2015 #13
    is this the shape?
    sector.gif

15. May 17, 2015 #14
    @TSny and @kontejnjer so the limits for θ are 0 to 2π
    for r its 0 to ##\sqrt{R^2-z^2}##
    for z its 0 to R.
    So first by integrating with respect to θ, the cunk becomes a full ring. Then integrating with respect to r makes the ring a disc which is situated at z and then integrating with respect to z will make it a hemisphere since it keeps adding one disc over another with changing radius.

16. May 17, 2015 #15
    I also got the correct answer.
    ##g=\pi G\rho R##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted