1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration due to gravity hw problem

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    I'm having difficulty with these two problems:

1. A mass is moving towards a massive crater (along the +x direction) on the Moon with an initial velocity of 636.8 cm/s. How far will the object fall in the first 1.1 seconds.

2. An object initially displaced 56.8 m (along the horizontal x direction) has in initial velocity downward (along the -y direction) of 152.4 cm/s. If this object is on Neptune, how far (in meters) will it fall after 22.5 seconds?

I'm not looking for the answers, I just need someone to point me in the right direction. I have attempted solving several different ways to no avail. The acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is 1.6 m/s2 and 14.07 m/s2 on Neptune. Thanks in advance!

JB Gibson
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Could you solve the problem if this was the Earth and not the moon or Neptune?

If not, it would help if you were to show us the several different ways you attempted.
  4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    I'm not able to visualize the concept right now. I realize the problems are dealing with 2-dimensional application, but I'm puzzled. I tried applied the formulas:

y=(vo sin)t-1/2gt^2

Let's see....my initial velocity in the y-position is 0 and I don't have any initial position. Like I mentioned, I just need someone to point me in the right direction. It's been a while since I had a Physics class. TIA!

JB Gibson
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  5. Sep 28, 2008 #4
    If a=-g=-1.6m/s^2 on the moon, is the solution to problem #1:

I submitted this as my answer, but it is incorrect. I don't know anymore; maybe I should just give up.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?