Acceleration due to gravity pls HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving acceleration due to gravity. A stone is dropped from a height of 20m and 0.6 seconds later, a marble is thrown with a velocity of 8m/s from the same height. The question is when will the marble overtake the stone assuming gravity to be 10m/s~2. The discussed solution involves setting up equations for the final position of the stone and marble and solving for time. The mistake of assuming the stone has an initial velocity of 0m/s is corrected to find the correct time for the marble to catch up with the stone.
mickarose
hi there...
am tearing my hair out over a question to do with acceleration due to gravity...

a stone is dropped from rest, from a height of 20m; 0.6 seconds later a marble is thrown with a velocity of 8m/s from the same height. when does the marble overtake the stone..?(assuming gravity to be 10m/s~2.)

ive spent so much time on this but am really confused about the time factor..
i know that it overtakes when the displacement is the same so when
ut+1/2at^2=ut+1/2at^2 but I am confused that one has a head start of .6 sec...

ive tryed working out that the stone has a 1.8m displacement after .6 seconds and added that to the formula before making both sides equal but what i end up with is

(stone)1.8m + 5t^2 =(marble) 8t + 5t^2

dont know what I am doing wrong... anyone that can help out id be greatly appriciative...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll take a shot at it for you. I'm just learning this stuff too so I hope I don't misguide you.

Position as a function of time can be described by xf = xi + vi*t + 0.5*a*t^2 where xf is final position, xi is initial position, vi is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. What you are looking for is the time when the final position (xf) of the stone is equal to the final position of the marble. To find this you need to set up the above equation for xf twice, once for the stone and once for the marble. After you set up these two separate equations you can set them equal to each other and solve them for time (t).

Treat the ground as your origin, so for the stone:
xi = 20.0 m
vi = 0 m/s
a = -10.0 m/s^2
t = t + 0.6 sec

For the marble:
xi = 20.0 m
vi = 8.0 m/s
a = -10.0 m/s^2
t = t

Your answer will be in seconds after the marble is thrown. For seconds after the stone is dropped simply add 0.6 seconds to your final answer. Someone yell at me if I'm giving bad advice.

hk

Last edited:
hmm...still stuck

ok, thanks muchly for the reply...

will take me a while to ponder it...

not seen it done like that b4...

my head hurts..lol

There is 1 mistake in your work. This line is wrong:
mickarose said:
(stone)1.8m + 5t^2 =(marble) 8t + 5t^2
This is wrong because after 0.6 second, the stone has the speed of : 10 * 0.6 = 6 m / s (not 0 m / s).
So that line should read: (stone)1.8m + 6t + 5t^2 =(marble) 8t + 5t^2
Solve that equation and you will have the amount of time needed for the marble to catch up with the stone after the marble was thrown down.
Viet Dao,

awsome, thanks very much for your help...
knew i was close but really was bugging me i couldn't get it...
get the right ans using you solution vietdao...
cheers...

What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration that an object experiences when it is falling towards a gravitational source, such as the Earth. It is commonly denoted as g and has a value of 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

How is acceleration due to gravity different from regular acceleration?

Acceleration due to gravity is a specific type of acceleration that only occurs when an object is under the influence of gravity. Regular acceleration, on the other hand, can occur in any direction and can be caused by a variety of factors.

What factors affect the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is affected by the mass of the objects involved and the distance between them. The strength of the gravitational force also plays a role, which is determined by the mass and distance of the objects.

Does the acceleration due to gravity change on different planets?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can vary on different planets due to differences in their mass and radius. For example, on Mars, the acceleration due to gravity is about 3.7 m/s², while on Jupiter it is about 24.8 m/s².

How is acceleration due to gravity measured?

The acceleration due to gravity can be measured using a variety of methods, such as timing the free fall of an object or using instruments like accelerometers. It can also be calculated using the equation g = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the object.