Acceleration due to gravity using a compound pendulum experiment

In summary, the conversation involves the task of plotting a graph with the formula T=2pi(sqr l/g) (1+L^2/12l^2) on the x-axis and T^2 on the y-axis. The graph is required to be a straight line through the origin, but the given values for l and T^2 do not give the necessary slope of 9.8 when substituted into the formula g=4pi^2/slope. The speaker is seeking advice on how to change the values to achieve the desired result. They are also discussing the original formula and the use of L(T^2) against L^2 to obtain a straight line and the value of g. The conversation also touches
Superdreamer
I am required to plot a graph of l(1+L^2/12l^2) on the x-axis and T^2 on the y axis.The graph must be a straight line through the origin.I got the following values for the l values on the x-axis .57,.47,.37,.27,.17 and corresponding values of T^2 2.46,2.52,2.56,3.24,8.12.As you can see my values are totally off and do not give the necessary slope needed to give 9.8 when subbed into the formula g=4pi^2/slope.Please advise on how i would go about changing the values to suit as I'm unable to do the experiment again

the original formula is T=2pi(sqr l/g) (1+L^2/12l^2)

Big L is 1.2m

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably just use the results you have now and then comment on what made them so shoddy. Comment on uncertainties in the measurements and methods to improve your experiment. I think lecturers would prefer bad results with evidence that you've thought about the problems than good results.

the graph you should be plotting is L(T^2) against L^2 This should be approximatly a straight line, and the gradient should give you g, I think...

please tell me the errors that could be occur in the practical compound pendulum...?

.57, 0.47, 0.37, 0.27, 0.17 are the values of l, and T^2 are the corresponding values for T^2. However, from the formula T=2pi(sqr l/g) (1+L^2/12l^2), it appears that you have used the wrong value for L. L refers to the length of the pendulum, and in the formula it is squared and multiplied by 1/12l^2. If you have used 1.2m for L, then the values for l should be in meters as well, not in centimeters.

To fix this, you can either convert the values of l to meters (multiply by 0.01) or use a different value for L, such as 0.12m. Once you have corrected the values, you should get a straight line with a slope of 4pi^2/g, which should be close to the expected value of 9.8.

If you are unable to repeat the experiment, you can also try to find the error in your measurements or calculations. Make sure that you have accurately measured the length of the pendulum and the time it takes for one full swing. Double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units for all values.

In science, it is important to identify and correct any errors in our experiments and data to ensure accurate results. If you are still having trouble, you can seek help from your instructor or a fellow scientist to review your data and calculations.

1. What is the purpose of conducting a compound pendulum experiment to measure acceleration due to gravity?

The purpose of conducting a compound pendulum experiment is to determine the acceleration due to gravity, which is a fundamental constant of nature. This experiment provides a way to measure this constant without the use of complex equipment and is a simple yet accurate method to calculate the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does a compound pendulum differ from a simple pendulum?

A compound pendulum is different from a simple pendulum in that its mass is distributed along its length, rather than being concentrated at one point. This distribution of mass changes the period of oscillation and allows for a more accurate measurement of acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the acceleration due to gravity measurement using a compound pendulum experiment?

The accuracy of the measurement can be affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and air resistance. It is important to carefully control these variables to obtain an accurate result.

4. How can we calculate acceleration due to gravity using the results of a compound pendulum experiment?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = 4π²L/T², where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and T is the period of oscillation. By measuring the length and the period of the pendulum, we can determine the value of g.

5. What is the significance of knowing the acceleration due to gravity?

Knowing the acceleration due to gravity is significant as it is a fundamental constant that affects many aspects of our daily lives. It helps us understand the motion of objects and plays a crucial role in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in various scientific and technological applications.