Acceleration Due to gravity

• Thread starter Greiver
  • Start date
This is one of the questions on my college intro. to physics course lab.

use the shortest time(or shortest average time) to calculate the height of the drop point from the ground, Explain the choice of time to calculate the height of the drop

*object dropped was a football.

1/2gt^2

1/2 (9.8m/s^2)(0.76s)^2
=2.83024m

I don't know if I am headed in the right direction with this problem any input would be appreciated, although I have to point out that logically the height is approximately 5 or so meters could this be a miscalculation ?

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That's the correct formula for an object dropped from rest with no air resistance. You probably didn't measure the time correctly.....If the height was 5 meters, the time would have to be at least about a second.

That's the correct formula for an object dropped from rest with no air resistance. You probably didn't measure the time correctly.....If the height was 5 meters, the time would have to be at least about a second.
looking at the average time for three trials with a football, although in doing the experiment i don't recall taking note of how it was dropped and the possibility for human error in this experiment. Thanks for the reply though it is very much appreciated.