What is the acceleration due to gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the force and acceleration of two objects in free fall, a 2.4kg ball and a 12.4kg ball, given Earth's gravity of 9.80 m/s/s. The solution for force (F) is found using the formula F=ma, and the acceleration (a) is found to be equal to gravity (g). The concept of all objects having the same acceleration in free fall, regardless of their mass, is also discussed.
omar1
Ok, I'm having some difficulty with a problem. It just doesn't add up.

1. Homework Statement

Consider a 2.4kg ball and a 12.4kg ball in free fall. A) Find the Force that is acting on each ball. B) Find the acceleration of each ball, given Earth's gravity of 9.80 m/s/s.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega = mg[/tex]

[tex]F=ma => a=\frac{F}{m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Forumla:

F1=23.52N
F2=121.52N[tex]\frac{23.52N}{2.4kg}= 9.80\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{121.52N}{12.4kg}= 9.80\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]
I've solved the Force, part A, but the acceleration, part B, is making me crazier. I come out with g (9.8m/s2), this can't be correct!? So I think I must be missing a Kinematics formula, but I have neither velocity or time to work with.

The ball has a weight, so the acceleration of both balls must be faster than gravity? Correct?Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
omar1 said:
I've solved the Force, part A, but the acceleration, part B, is making me crazier. I come out with g (9.8m/s2), this can't be correct!?
Why not?

omar1 said:
So I think I must be missing a Kinematics formula, but I have neither velocity or time to work with.
Nope. You just realized that the acceleration of an object in free fall does not depend on its mass.

If you write this symbolically, you'll have an easier time seeing it:
##\Sigma F = ma##
##mg = ma##
##a = g##

omar1 said:
The ball has a weight, so the acceleration of both balls must be faster than gravity? Correct?
No.

Ok, soo.. if I were to drop a feather and a Boeing 747 from 20k ft, they'd both have the same acceleration?

If you ignore air resistance, yep. All objects on Earth have the same acceleration. The heavier weight is offset by its larger inertia. Feathers feel the force that air applies to them much more than a 747 would. But with no atmosphere to get in the way, the feather and 747 hit the ground simultaneously. It's beautiful when you think about it.

omar1 said:
Ok, soo.. if I were to drop a feather and a Boeing 747 from 20k ft, they'd both have the same acceleration?
Yep, if they are in free fall. (Which means that the only force is gravity--no air resistance to worry about.)

omar1 said:
In vacuum, yes. The crew of Apollo 15 demonstrated that on the moon. They didn't have a Boeing 747, they used a hammer.

What is the definition of "Acceleration due to gravity"?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted by "g", is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth's surface. It is a constant value that is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

The formula for calculating acceleration due to gravity is: g = G * (m1 + m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of two objects, and d is the distance between them.

What factors affect acceleration due to gravity?

The main factors that affect acceleration due to gravity are the mass and distance between objects. The larger the mass of an object, the greater the gravitational force and acceleration. Similarly, the closer two objects are to each other, the greater the acceleration due to gravity.

How does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

The acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is 9.8 m/s^2, but on Mars it is 3.7 m/s^2 and on Jupiter it is 24.8 m/s^2.

How is acceleration due to gravity related to weight?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. The formula for calculating weight is: W = m * g, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is acceleration due to gravity. This means that the weight of an object is directly proportional to the acceleration due to gravity.