Acceleration of ball due to gravity

In summary, the question is about the acceleration of a ball thrown into the air with no other forces acting on it. The teacher and student are debating whether the acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2 due to it slowing down against the force of gravity, or if it is 9.8 m/s^2 as the acceleration is in the same direction as the force of gravity. The summary concludes that the sign of acceleration depends on the chosen coordinate system and that a more reasonable choice would be to use a single coordinate system where positive accelerations are upward and negative accelerations are downward.
DeathEater

Homework Statement

So I know this is a super basic question, but my teacher and I have been going back and forth on this. If a ball is thrown up into the air, with no other forces acting on it, what is its acceleration? Isn't it - 9.8 m/s^2 because it is acting against the force of gravity and slowing down, so it should be NEGATIVE 9.8 m/s^2 right? My teacher keeps saying that if a ball is thrown into the air, the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 , and if a ball is dropped then it is NEGATIVE 9.8 m/s^2. So which one is it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
DeathEater said:

Homework Statement

So I know this is a super basic question, but my teacher and I have been going back and forth on this. If a ball is thrown up into the air, with no other forces acting on it, what is its acceleration? Isn't it - 9.8 m/s^2 because it is acting against the force of gravity and slowing down, so it should be NEGATIVE 9.8 m/s^2 right? My teacher keeps saying that if a ball is thrown into the air, the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 , and if a ball is dropped then it is NEGATIVE 9.8 m/s^2. So which one is it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to the PF.

Acceleration is a vector. It has a magnitude and a direction. Start by defining the coordinate axes, and then just use the fact that the acceleration due to gravity points toward the center of the Earth.

So if you define your coordinate axes in the traditional way for problems of projectile motion, the Z axis points up, so the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2 pointing in the negative Z direction. In your equations you would write that as -9.8m/s^2.

Hope that helps. :smile:

DeathEater said:

Homework Statement

Your teacher is wrong.

The sign on acceleration depends on the chosen coordinate system. That choice need have nothing whatsoever to do with the motion of the ball. To be charitable, your teacher may be operating on the assumption that the proper coordinate system to use is one in which the ball's current velocity (in the case of a thrown ball) or its future velocity (in the case of a dropped ball) are positive. But that is an arbitrary choice, a biased choice and not the only possible choice.

More reasonable is to pick a single coordinate system [as you have] where positive accelerations are upward and negative accelerations are downward.

jbriggs444 said:
Your teacher is wrong.

The sign on acceleration depends on the chosen coordinate system. That choice need have nothing whatsoever to do with the motion of the ball. To be charitable, your teacher may be operating on the assumption that the proper coordinate system to use is one in which the ball's current velocity (in the case of a thrown ball) or its future velocity (in the case of a dropped ball) are positive. But that is an arbitrary choice, a biased choice and not the only possible choice.

More reasonable is to pick a single coordinate system [as you have] where positive accelerations are upward and negative accelerations are downward.
I appreciate your help, I'm not looking too into it though. So the teacher is wrong for saying that the dropping balls acceleration is negative 9.8 because it is actually going with the force of gravity?

DeathEater said:
I appreciate your help, I'm not looking too into it though. So the teacher is wrong for saying that the dropping balls acceleration is negative 9.8 because it is actually going with the force of gravity?

As Berkeman points out, first you need to choose a coordinate system. One would normally pick a coordinate system fixed to the Earth, not one fixed to the ball.

The sign depends purely on the coordinate system. There is no "right" and "wrong" sign unless you fix the coordinate system.

What do you mean by coordinate system? I have been in my physics class for 2 days only...

1. What is the acceleration of a ball due to gravity?

The acceleration of a ball due to gravity is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, also known as the acceleration due to gravity (g).

2. How is acceleration of a ball due to gravity calculated?

The acceleration of a ball due to gravity can be calculated using the formula a = g, where a represents the acceleration and g represents the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the mass of the ball affect its acceleration due to gravity?

No, the mass of the ball does not affect its acceleration due to gravity. All objects, regardless of their mass, experience the same acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a ball due to gravity?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect the acceleration of a ball due to gravity by slowing down its descent. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force that acts against the force of gravity, causing the ball to fall at a slower rate.

5. Is the acceleration of a ball due to gravity constant?

Yes, the acceleration of a ball due to gravity is constant near the Earth's surface. However, it may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude due to changes in the strength of the Earth's gravitational pull.