Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration Due to gravity

1. Nov 16, 2003 #1
    I need to prove the folowing statement. Can someone please help me as i am having trouble working out the formula needed to determine a value for acceleration. (This has to be proved as simply as possible, using things easily measured, ie Mass, time etc...

Please help as soon as possible,
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gravitational force is given by

[tex]F= \frac {GM_em} {r^2} [/tex]

[tex]M_e=[/tex] the mass of the earth
    [tex]m=[/tex] the mass of some object
    [tex]r=[/tex] radius of the earth
    [tex]G=[/tex] The Gravitational constant.

Newtons law

[tex]F= ma[/tex]

Use these two relationships to get an expression for the acceleration due to gravity.

I am guessing that this is what you are asking for. Your question statement leaves a lot to be desired. It simply is not clear what you are asking.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  4. Nov 16, 2003 #3
    in Reply

The question i need to answer is:
    "Gather infomation using a wide variety of sources and carry out a simple first hand investigation to determine a value for acceleration due to gravity. Present this by:
    1)Including labeled diagram
    2)Showing a sample of simple calculations used
    3)Identifying Independant, Dependant and constant variables"

The experiment i chose to perform is to drop a small ball froma height of 2meters. I time this, and then i was hoping to be able to answer the above question via this experiment

5. Nov 16, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?