1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration, force

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 50.0 kg object is pulled along a horizontal surface with a horizontal net force of 250 N. A second object with a mass of 75.0 kg travels 4.00 m while changing its velocity from rest to 4.00 m/s. How many times greater is the acceleration of the 50.0 kg object than that of the 75.0 kg object?

2. Relevant equations
    a=Fnet/m, v=d/t, a=v/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried finding acceleration of the 50 kg object by a=f/m which was 5m/s2. then to find acceleration of the 75kg object i used t=d/v to find the time so that i can plug it into the a=v/t formula. I got 4.00m/s2 for the 75 kg object. What am i doing wrong?because i cannot find the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That equation only applies for constant velocity motion, but this is accelerated motion. Hint: Use the average velocity.

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3
    but vf-vi still equals 4 doesnt it/

5. Jul 26, 2009 #4

Doc Al

To find the time, use t = d/vave (instead of t = d/v). What's the average velocity?

6. Jul 26, 2009 #5
    ok, but is the average velocity not 4?? cuz vf is 4 and vi is 0...

7. Jul 26, 2009 #6
    could i use the formula (vf + vi)/2 to find it? then divide 5m/s2 by 2m/s2 to give me 2.5??

8. Jul 26, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Right--that gives you the average velocity. Then use that to find the time, then the acceleration.

9. Jul 26, 2009 #8
    alrite. thanks =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook