1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration formulas

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    13. Which expression represents an equality between accelerations?

A) Gme/r = v/r
    b) Gme/r2= v/r
    C) Gme/r2= v2/r
    D) √Gme/r= v/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have no idea how to figure this out.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If you can't automatically see it. Write out the units of each one and see if you get m/s2 on the left and right sides.

Also, seeing the terms on the left side, do know a formula for acceleration? Do the same for the right side with the terms v and r.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

tms

It's a question of units. In which answer, if any, do the left- and right-hand sides both have the units of acceleration?

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    so i know for sure answers b and c do, but what about the other sides. a=v/t is an equation, but thats not an option..

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

tms

Since answers b and c are different in the right-hand side, they can't both be correct. It is a question of units, not of any particular equation that might represent an acceleration.

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
    but for v and r, it would be m2/s, rather than m/s2

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

tms

v is m/sec, and r is m, so, for instance, v/r is
    [tex]\frac{\text{m/sec}}{\text{m}} = \frac{1}{\text{sec}}.[/tex]
    Is that acceleration? You have to do the same kind of "calculation" for each possible answer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Aug 10, 2009 #8
    o thank you!! that makes way more sense. :D

10. Aug 10, 2009 #9
    i have one more question if u think you could answer it,
    -When the distance separating two masses, M and m, is 1.2 x 1010 m, the gravitational force of attraction is 5.0 N. If the mass of M becomes 3M and the separation distance becomes
    2.4 x 1010 m, what will be the force?

A. 0.27 N
    B. 2.2 N
    C. 3.8 N
    D. 7.5 N

what equation am i suppossed to use for that??

11. Aug 10, 2009 #10

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

gravitational force of attraction

Maybe a formula that contains M,m and an r ? Perhaps a constant like G in it as well.

12. Aug 10, 2009 #11

tms

You're supposed to use the equation for for the gravitational force between two bodies.

You should also start a new thread for a new question, so other people can find it easily.

13. Aug 10, 2009 #12
    but taht formula doesnt have force in it.

14. Aug 10, 2009 #13

tms

Sure it does; it defines the force.

15. Aug 10, 2009 #14
    o sorry. i will know for next time. and ok. so Fg=GmM/r^2. but in the equation it tells us the distance between the two. not what each equals. how do i solve that?

16. Aug 10, 2009 #15

tms

You can write two equations: one for the initial conditions, and one for the second set of conditions. G is known; you are given the force in the first situation, and the distances; you are given the second set of masses in terms of the first; but you don't know the masses m and M. You need to somehow get rid of m and M from the equations. If you actually write down the equations, the technique should jump out at you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook