How Do You Calculate Acceleration from a Velocity-Time Graph?

The average acceleration during the first second is still incorrect.In summary, the problem asks to find the acceleration at t=3 seconds using the formula for average acceleration. The attempt at a solution is to calculate the average velocity at t=3 seconds and t=0 seconds, then divide by the time interval. However, the calculated answer of 0.66667 is incorrect. The correct answer is -2, which can be found by calculating the change in velocity over the change in time.
rashad764

Homework Statement

knight_Figure_02_30.jpg

find the accleration at t=3 seconds

Homework Equations

vf-vi/tf-ti

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity at 3sec is 2 m/s and at 0 sec is at 4m.s
time is 3-0
2-4/3-0, [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
rashad764 said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and g iven/known data
View attachment 210424
find the accleration at t=3 seconds

Homework Equations

vf-vi/tf-ti

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity at 3sec is 2 m/s and at 0 sec is at 4m.s
time is 3-0
2-4/3-0, [/B]

Your answer of ##2 - \frac{4}{3} - 0 = 0.66667## is incorrect. Even if you put in parentheses (which you should always do) you would get ##(2-4)/(3-0) = -0.66667##, which is still incorrect. Can you see where your error lies?

Ray Vickson said:
Your answer of ##2 - \frac{4}{3} - 0 = 0.66667## is incorrect. Even if you put in parentheses (which you should always do) you would get ##(2-4)/(3-0) = -0.66667##, which is still incorrect. Can you see where your error lies?
is it suppose to be -2?

rashad764 said:
is it suppose to be -2?
You tell me.

Ray Vickson said:
You tell me.
well since the line is going downwards, it has to be negative velocity

No the _velocity_ is still positive at t=3 sec. If you meant negative acceleration you would be correct.

i still can't see what's wrong
velocity at 3seconds is 2 and at 0 seconds its 4

time is 3 seconds minus 0

The problem is that in post #3 you just asked if the answer was -2m/s without showing your working. That's what Ray meant by you tell me.

rashad764 said:
velocity at 3seconds is 2 and at 0 seconds its 4

time is 3 seconds minus 0

The acceleration at t=3 is the slope of the line at t=3. Does the slope start at t=0?

or look at it this way...

The slope/acceleration is the same at t=2.5 and 3.5sec right. Does your method give the same answer?

CWatters said:
The acceleration at t=3 is the slope of the line at t=3. Does the slope start at t=0?

or look at it this way...

The slope/acceleration is the same at t=2.5 and 3.5sec right. Does your method give the same answer?
CWatters said:
The problem is that in post #3 you just asked if the answer was -2m/s without showing your working. That's what Ray meant by you tell me.
i was saying if the the velocity was -2 so it would be -2-4/3

acceleration begins at t-2 and and ends at t=4
so it would be( 2-4)/(3-2)

The velocity is never -2m/s. The velocity is positive at all times.

The _change_ in velocity is -2. Is that what you mean?

Sorry for editing this reply. (2-4)/(3-2) = -2 is correct.

1. What does the slope of an acceleration vs. time graph represent?

The slope of an acceleration vs. time graph represents the rate at which the acceleration is changing over time. It can also be thought of as the acceleration's "steepness" or how quickly the velocity is changing.

2. How can I calculate acceleration from a graph?

To calculate acceleration from a graph, you can measure the change in velocity over a specific time interval and divide it by the change in time. This will give you the average acceleration for that time interval.

3. What does a horizontal line on an acceleration vs. time graph indicate?

A horizontal line on an acceleration vs. time graph indicates that there is no acceleration, or that the object is moving with a constant velocity. This means that the object is not speeding up or slowing down.

4. What does a curved line on an acceleration vs. time graph indicate?

A curved line on an acceleration vs. time graph indicates that the object is experiencing a changing acceleration. This means that the velocity is changing at a non-constant rate and the object may be accelerating or decelerating.

5. Can you determine an object's initial velocity from an acceleration vs. time graph?

Yes, you can determine an object's initial velocity from an acceleration vs. time graph by finding the y-intercept of the graph. This represents the initial velocity at the start of the time interval.