Mastering Acceleration: Easily Solve for Time with this Simple Formula

In summary, the equation for calculating the time it takes for an object to fall to the ground is v2=v1+2a.
licorice
Acceleration Help?

Homework Statement

a book is dropped from a had to the ground 1.5m, how long will it take to hit the ground?

Homework Equations

(v2)2 = (v1)2 =2ax?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if the equation is the correct one to use, and i am having trouble with the algebra part.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

a book is dropped from the ground?

srmeier said:
a book is dropped from the ground?

Sorry... from his hand to the ground.

Look for a kinematic equation for position not velocity.

So the equation you listed,

[tex] V^2 = V_o^2 +2a \Delta x [/tex]

Has 4 variables, none of which are time. I suggest you look at the kinematic equations and select the one with all of the variables you have and need to solve for.

So the variables you already know (or can deduce) are what? (ie have numerical values for)

The variable you need to solve for is what?

srmeier said:
Look for a kinematic equation for position not velocity.

what is a kinematic equation?

My apologizes, llello is right.

kinematic equation = equation of motion (this usage should be in your book)

llello said:
So the equation you listed,

[tex] V^2 = V_o^2 +2a \Delta x [/tex]

Has 4 variables, none of which are time. I suggest you look at the kinematic equations and select the one with all of the variables you have and need to solve for.

So the variables you already know (or can deduce) are what? (ie have numerical values for)

The variable you need to solve for is what?

I have distance, gravity, v1 and v2 and i am looking for time. Is it (v2)2 = (v1)2=2gy?

So a general way to go about kinematics problems:

- Note that in all of the equations only 5 variables appear: [tex]t, \Delta x, v, v_o, a [/tex]
- These represent time, displacement, final velocity, initial velocity and acceleration.
- Each individual equation only contains 4 variables.
- Generally you are given 3 variables and want to solve for a 4th.
- Pick the equation that has the 3 known variables and the 4th unknown.
- Solve for the unknown.

- You may have to infer some things about the situation described. For example, it may tell you that you are on earth, so a = -9.8 m/s^2 (if you choose up to be the +y direction). Similarly, you may be told that an object reaches a maximum height before falling back down; at max height [tex] v = 0[/tex].

You can use this formula S=ut+1/2at^2 and take a=9.8m/s^2. Since it is falling to ground the acceleration is positive.

licorice said:
I have distance, gravity, v1 and v2 and i am looking for time. Is it (v2)2 = (v1)2=2gy?

Really? You have V2? What is it?

What is acceleration and why is it important?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move and how forces act on them.

How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What is the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and time?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the change in velocity and inversely proportional to the change in time. This means that as acceleration increases, the change in velocity increases, and as acceleration decreases, the change in time increases.

How can I use the acceleration formula to solve for time?

The acceleration formula can be rearranged to solve for time by multiplying both sides by time and then dividing by acceleration. The formula becomes t = (vf - vi) / a. This allows you to calculate the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity with a given acceleration.

Are there any limitations to using the acceleration formula?

The acceleration formula assumes that acceleration is constant. In reality, acceleration can change over time. This formula also does not take into account external factors such as air resistance or friction, which can affect an object's acceleration. Additionally, it only applies to linear motion and cannot be used for circular or rotational motion.