Find Acceleration of 11.5N Bucket Pulled by 9.7N and T Forces

• Thread starter buffgilville
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the bucket is pulled vertically using two forces. The first of magnitude 9.7 Newtons acts at an angle 53 degrees from the vertical. The second acts at an angle 20 degrees from the vertical. Find the acceleration of the bucket in m/s2. (g = 9.81 m/s^2)
buffgilville
A bucket of water which weighs 11.5 Newtons is pulled vertically using two forces. The first of magnitude 9.7 Newtons acts at an angle 53 degrees from the vertical. The second acts at an angle 20 degrees from the vertical. Find the acceleration of the bucket in m/s2. (g = 9.81 m/s^2)

I keep getting 14.03m/s^2 but it's wrong can someone please help.

First I found the sum of Fx = (9.7sin53 + -Tsin20) = 22.65
Then, sum of Fy = (9.7cos53 + Tcos20) = -6.212
Fx + Fy = 16.438
F=ma so, 16.438 divided by (11.5/9.81) = 14.02

What am I doing wrong? ALSO, how do I find the net force acting on the bucket (due to the forces and the weight) in Newtons?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you take the linear sum of Fx and Fy? The magnitude is sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2)

Not only that, but your computations of Fx and Fy don't make sense to me. You are never given the magnitude of the second force, yet somehow your unknown (T) just disappears! Am I missing something?

I found T according to the steps in my textbook.
Since the magnitude for the second force is not given, how do I find that?

But that's precisely what I'm saying...I'm not sure how to solve the problem without the magnitude of the second force, and "T" IS the magnitude of the second force! So it totally baffles me how you could have solved for it. :confused:

cepheid, that's what I was having trouble with too because the second magnitude wasn't given.

Since the bucket is pulled vertically, no accelerations are present in the horizontal, hence the sum of "horizontal force" is zero, find the missing tension from there.

arildno is correct. Ax = O, so Fx becomes zero as well (fx = mAx).
but we can still use that information to solve the problem.

i'm going to assume F1 and f2 are along the -x and +x axis.
so sum Fx = 0 = -9.7N(cos53) + F2cos20

9.7Ncos53 = F2cos20

F2 = 9.7Ncos53 / F2cos20 = 6.21N

okay, cool, now we can work with Y components.

sum Fy = 9.7N(sin53) + 6.21N(sin20) Here both are positive b/c they're both pointing up

sum Fy= 9.87N

F = ma

a = F/m = 9.87N/1.17kg = 8.43m/s2 Is that the answer you have?

buffgilville said:
First I found the sum of Fx = (9.7sin53 + -Tsin20) = 22.65
Then, sum of Fy = (9.7cos53 + Tcos20) = -6.212

The x and y components are CORRECT. Yet the Fx must be set equal to 0 because there is no force in the horizontal direction. So set the first equation equal to zero and solve for T. Then use this T for the y component and your problem is solved...

marlon

specgirl said:
Fx = 0 = -9.7N(cos53) + F2cos20

Hey, this is incorrect. Recall that are angles are given with respect to the vertical axis, not the horizontal axis...

marlon

Thanks Marlon, I get it now :smile:

my pleasure...

marlon

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. In this scenario, the net force is the sum of the 9.7N and T forces, while the mass would be the weight of the 11.5N bucket in kilograms.

3. What is the direction of acceleration in this scenario?

The direction of acceleration would depend on the direction of the net force. If the 9.7N and T forces are pulling in the same direction, the acceleration would be in that direction. If they are pulling in opposite directions, the acceleration would be in the direction of the larger force.

4. Can the acceleration of the bucket change?

Yes, the acceleration of the bucket can change if there is a change in the net force acting on it. For example, if the T force increases or decreases, the acceleration would also change.

5. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the measure of how an object's velocity is changing, while velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction at a specific moment in time. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity over time, while velocity is the rate of change in position over time.