Acceleration in Fluid: Calculating Time for Marble's Speed to Halve

In summary, the acceleration of a marble in a certain fluid is proportional to the speed of the marble squared and is given by a=-3.00v^2 for v>0. To find the time it takes for the marble's speed to be reduced to half of its initial value, one must take the integral of the acceleration to get a v-t relationship. This can be done by solving the equation \frac {dv}{v^2} = -3 dt and plugging in the initial and final velocities, resulting in the equation -\frac{1}{v} + \frac{1}{1.5}= -3t - 0. By solving for t, the time can be determined.
UrbanXrisis
Question states:

The acceleration of a marble in a certain fluid is proportional to the speed of the marble squared and is given (in SI units) by a=-3.00v^2 for v>0. If the marble enters this fluid with a speed of 1.50m/s, how long will it take before the marble's speed is reduced to half of its initial value?

Here's what I think is it...take the derivative of a... a`=6v

d=6(.75m/s)
d=4.5m

I need the acceleration to sub in for the equation vf = vi + at
to find the time.

Am I doing any of this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't use that formula because this is not uniformily accelerated motion (acceleration is a function of velocity here). Try taking the integral of acceleration to get a v-t relationship.

remember from our last conversation that I don't know how to take integrals? :) Can you teach me with an example and explain what and integral does?

I could, but you should try reading about it on the internet, or better yet, in a calculus textbook, which will contain all the information you need. On a basic level, integration is a way to find areas under and between curves using only their equation. If you are not required to know calculus for your course, however, the questions are most likely doable without integration.

Sorry, I can't explain much more now. Gotta run.

UrbanX,

Since you didn't specify the mass of the marble I take it that you are ignoring gravity.

In that case
[tex]\frac {dv}{dt} = -3v^2[/tex]
which amounts to integrating
[tex]\frac {dv}{v^2} = -3 dt[/tex]
You should be able to handle it from there.

I actually have no clue what happened and how to even begin. Thank you for the example but I do not know what you are doing since I do not know how to integrate

Last edited:
Taking from Tide's answer. Upon request by Urban.

[tex]\frac {dv}{v^2} = -3 dt[/tex]

[tex]\int^{v}_{v_{o}} \frac {dv}{v^2} = \int^{t}_{0} -3 dt[/tex]

[tex] -\frac{1}{v}]^{v}_{v_{o}} = -3t]^{t}_{0}[/tex]

[tex] -\frac{1}{v} + \frac{1}{1.5}= -3t - 0[/tex]

Urban, you know initial speed is 1.5, and v will be equal 1.5/2, so just solve for t.

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration in fluid?

Acceleration in fluid refers to the change in velocity of a fluid over a specific period of time. It is a measure of how quickly the speed or direction of the fluid is changing.

2. How is acceleration in fluid calculated?

Acceleration in fluid can be calculated using the equation a = (v2 - v1)/t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time period.

3. What causes acceleration in fluid?

Acceleration in fluid can be caused by various factors such as changes in pressure, changes in temperature, and changes in the direction of flow. It can also be caused by external forces such as gravitational forces or forces applied by a solid object in the fluid.

4. How does acceleration in fluid affect the motion of objects?

Acceleration in fluid can affect the motion of objects in different ways. For example, if an object is moving through a fluid with a high acceleration, it will experience a greater resistance and may require more force to maintain its speed. On the other hand, if an object is moving through a fluid with a low acceleration, it will experience less resistance and may require less force to maintain its speed.

5. Can acceleration in fluid be negative?

Yes, acceleration in fluid can be negative. This means that the fluid is slowing down or changing direction in the opposite direction to its initial motion. Negative acceleration in fluid is also known as deceleration or retardation.