Acceleration and Velocity Relationships

In summary, the acceleration of an particle is defined by the relation a=-10v, where a is expressed in m/s2 and v in m/s. Knowing that at t=0 the velocity is 30 m/s, determine: (a) the distance the particle will travel before coming to rest, (b) the time required for the particle to come to rest, and (c) the time required for the velocity of the particle to be reduced to 1 percent of its initial value.
ahmdo

Homework Statement

the acceleration of aparticle is defined by the relation a=-10v , where a is expressed in m/s2 and v in m/s knowing that at t=0 the velocity is 30 m/s
determine
(a) the distance the particle will travel before coming to rest
(b) the time required for the particle to come to rest
(c) the time required for the velocity of the particle to be reduced to 1 percent of its initial value

Homework Equations

a=dv/dx or vdv/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

hmm well I am not sure how to solve acceleration in function of velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
hello,

a = dv/dx is the right formula. where are you getting stuck?

everytime i solve it i get stuck at (v=30e^-10t) so can't make v equal 0 since it will be undefind :S

yes, that is the correct solution. i agree that the first two questions do not make sense since the particle, theoretically, does not stop; well, i guess they make sense if infinity is allowed as an answer. the third you should be able to answer with your solution.

yes i did answer the 3rd one and its easy...the 1st and 2nd r suxx :P
ty for help :)

cheers

you know, now that i think about it, the first question might have an answer, if we integrate v from 0 to infinity, i am almost certain that integral converges. you might want to check that.

hmm I am not sure what do u mean? can u write the equation please? sorry but english aint my native language

i am thinking that the total distance traveled will be given by the expression:

[tex] d = \int_{0}^{\infty}{v(t)}dt[/tex]

and i believe this will converge to a finite distance. though it will still take an infinite time to get there!

lol ill try to work on that

good luck. :smile:

1. What is acceleration in function of velocity?

Acceleration in function of velocity refers to the mathematical relationship between acceleration and velocity, where acceleration is a function of velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object changes, its acceleration will also change accordingly.

2. How is acceleration calculated from velocity?

To calculate acceleration from velocity, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula assumes that the acceleration is constant over time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are related but different concepts. Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in which direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If an object is accelerating, its velocity will either increase or decrease depending on the direction of the acceleration. This means that the object will either speed up or slow down, or change direction if the acceleration is not in the same direction as the velocity.

5. How is acceleration in function of velocity used in real life?

Acceleration in function of velocity is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many real-life applications. For example, it is used in the design of vehicles and airplanes to calculate the necessary acceleration to reach a certain speed, as well as in the study of motion in sports such as track and field events. It is also used in the development of technologies like rockets and satellites that require precise calculations of acceleration and velocity.