1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration In One Dimension

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    ~~~acceleration In One Dimension~~~

I didn't get any replies :cry: , this is due monday, i still dun understand the concepts and all the new concepts are built on the previous ones! :frown:

I was wondering if an object can have a negative acceleration and be speeding up? If so, can you describe a possible physical situation and a corresponding coordiante system, If not can you explain to me why not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    A negative acceleration means the direction of the acceleration is toward the negative side of your chosen coordinate system. If you decide that all bodies accelerating to the left have positive acc then a body that accelerates to the right would have negative acc. This does not imply that the bodies are slowing down though.

Example: Falling bodies. Typically we define up as positive and down as negative. Drop a ball from a cliff using conventional coordinate system and the ball will have negative acceleration and have increaseing velocity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?