Acceleration in QFT: Fundamentals, Causes, Quantization

In summary: If you want to consider acceleration in more detail, you will need to specify the condition and measurements much more precisely.
accdd
What is acceleration in QFT at the fundamental level?
What causes it?
Is it quantized?
Is there a connection between acceleration in QFT and the equivalence principle?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What does "at a fundamental levbel" mean? What would be the answer to your question for ordinary QM?

I suspect your question is unanswerable.

Likes protonsarecool, accdd and vanhees71
I understood that particles in QFT are quantized excitations of fields, each field has its own particle.
What happens when a particle accelerates? Why does it accelerate? For example, does an electron accelerate because it has been hit by a photon? By a discrete number of them? What is the relationship between acceleration and the equivalence principle?
In NRQM there are potentials and expected values of operators corresponding to observables, in QFT there is no wave function. What's going on?

Likes Delta2
IYou seem to be thinking of "acceleration" meaning a funbction of a particle's trajectory when in has a well-determined position and velocity. It doesn't work like that even in orfinary QM, much less field theory.

• Informative
Likes protonsarecool and Delta2
I am not an expert in NRQM, I have only studied from Griffiths' book.
If we have a wave function of a particle, is the mean velocity of a large number of experiments prepared in the same way the derivative of the expected value of the wave function? Can we generalize this to acceleration? Where am I going wrong?
What happens in QFT?
Sorry to waste your time.
Should I study more quantum mechanics before moving to QFT?

accdd said:
Where am I going wrong?
Trying to understand QFT before understanding QM.

If you want to talk about statistical properties of acceleration, not event by event, you will need to specify the condition and measurements much more precisely. Mathematically, if possible.

Likes protonsarecool, accdd and vanhees71
accdd said:
Should I study more quantum mechanics before moving to QFT?
Yes. Especially the Ehrenfest theorem.

• Informative
Likes protonsarecool, Delta2, Lord Jestocost and 2 others
Is this reasoning correct or wrong?
In NRQM there is a state vector ## \ket \Psi## that has all the information about the system inside. Therefore, one cannot talk about position, velocity, acceleration, etc. The wave function is the state expressed in position basis, and its Fourier transform is the state expressed in momentum basis.
The expected value is the average value we get by repeating the experiment starting from the same initial conditions, and we can calculate them as follows: ##\braket{x}=\braket{\Psi|\hat x|\Psi}## and ##\braket{p}=\braket{\Psi|\hat p|\Psi}##, where ##\hat x## and ##\hat p## are operator associated with position and momentum.
If I want to get a quantity associated with acceleration, should I consider ##\frac{d\braket{p}}{dt}##?
By Ehrenfest's theorem this quantity is: ##\frac{d\braket{p}}{dt}=-\braket{\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}}##
Which under some conditions reproduces Newton's law $$F=ma$$ in classical mechanics.
Is this related to the concept of acceleration in NRQM or am I still getting it wrong?
What happens in QFT when a particle is accelerated?
I'm using a translator, sorry for mistakes.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
accdd said:
Is this related to the concept of acceleration in NRQM ... ?
Yes. Another thing that I recommend you to study is NRQM in the Heisenberg picture, with that formalism acceleration in NRQM is even easier to understand.

accdd said:
What happens in QFT when a particle is accelerated?
If you formulate QFT in the Heisenberg picture, then acceleration in QFT is an easy generalization of acceleration in NRQM. See e.g. https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.04143 Eq. (10).

Likes accdd
Really? Then define "acceleration" for a field!

vanhees71 said:
Really? Then define "acceleration" for a field!
$$\frac{\partial^2\phi(x,t)}{\partial t^2}$$

1. What is acceleration in quantum field theory (QFT)?

Acceleration in QFT refers to the change in the velocity of a particle over time. It is a fundamental concept in QFT that describes the behavior of particles in high-energy physics.

2. What are the causes of acceleration in QFT?

The causes of acceleration in QFT are the interactions between particles and the fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These interactions can result in changes in the velocity of particles, leading to acceleration.

3. How is acceleration quantized in QFT?

In QFT, acceleration is quantized through the use of mathematical equations and principles, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the concept of virtual particles. These allow for the precise calculation and prediction of the acceleration of particles in different situations.

4. What are the implications of acceleration in QFT?

The study of acceleration in QFT has important implications for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and for developing theories that can explain the fundamental forces of nature. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and quantum computing.

5. How does acceleration in QFT relate to other theories, such as general relativity?

Acceleration in QFT is a key concept in quantum mechanics, which is the theory that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is also related to general relativity, which is the theory of gravity and the behavior of large-scale objects in the universe. The combination of these two theories is necessary for a complete understanding of the behavior of particles and forces in the universe.