Acceleration in Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the common misconception that Special Relativity only deals with objects moving at a constant speed, while General Relativity covers all types of motion. However, it is clarified that Special Relativity can also handle 4-forces and accelerations, and the correct distinction is that it deals with non-gravitational physics in inertial reference frames. The generalisation of this to non-inertial reference frames is not considered to be part of General Relativity, but is still a principle of GR. The conversation also touches on the twin paradox and the concept of non-inertial frames in SR. Finally, the author argues for sticking to Einstein's definition of SR.
masudr
It greatly annoys me every time I read somewhere that Special Relativity deals with objects moving at constant speed and the generalisation of this is General Relativity which considers all kinds of motion. What's even more annoying is that you can find such nonsense written in all kinds of scientific literature, from lecture notes, to popular science to websites etc.

This is, of course, ridiculous. Special relativity easily deals with 4-forces and accelerations (well, the second derivative of the position four-vector with respect to proper time), and so on.

The correct distinction is that SR deals with non-gravitational physics in inertial reference frames.

The generalisation of this to non-inertial reference frames is straightforward really (and this isn't GR): replacing [itex]\partial_x[/itex] with covariant derivatives and so on. However in doing so we see some terms appear in our equations of motion (which are related to the curvature tensor).

What GR does is it associates these extra terms (and so the curvature tensor and it's various contractions) with the stress-energy tensor, and so finally solves the problem of gravitation in the relativistic limit, which is valid in all frames, inertial or not.

Apologies for the rant, but it annoyed me enough and this has helped to vent my anger.

Physics news on Phys.org
Agreed that SRT can handle instantaneous accelerations and forces with it's 4-vectors but I believe that certain aspects of such frames can not be explained properly by SRT's Lorentz transforms. These come forward in e.g. the clock behaviour during periods of acceleration that is also the basis for endless disussions on the twin paradox (for an example see John Baez' page at http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_vase.html#gap).

Last edited:
The twin "paradox" is easy to resolve in SR - the proper time integral is path dependent (i.e. the path in spacetime) and if you integrate the required expression along two paths you will see that one ages more than the other, as stated in Carroll's lecture notes on GR.

Essientially what you are doing in SR when you look at non-inertial frames is examining a certain class of non-constant coordinate bases (which mean the Christoffel symbols do not vanish). You are still doing this on a manifold with no curvature, it is the coordinate system that is 'curved'.

masudr said:
The generalisation of this to non-inertial reference frames is straightforward really (and this isn't GR):

Whether this is GR of not will depend on how "GR" is defined. Einstein defined SR as relativity in inertial frames. I always take Einstein's definitions. What you've done is to take a principle of GR and call it SR. I.e. when you replaced partial derivatives with the covariant derivative (i.e. comma goes to colon rule) do you know what this is called? Its called the strong form of the equivalence principle. This is one of the basic postulate of GR. Another basic postulate of GR has to do with the law which says that the laws of nature must be able to be expressed in tensor form. There are plenty of reasons I go by Einstein's definition but I think I've debated that here before and I'm not healthy enough to want to repeat that debate right now.

So basically what you've done is to define GR away to meet your preference. But you're correct in saying that things like particle acceleration as observed in an inertial frame belongs to SR.

Pete

1. What is the definition of acceleration in special relativity?

Acceleration in special relativity is defined as the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. How does acceleration affect time in special relativity?

According to the theory of special relativity, acceleration can affect time by causing time dilation. This means that an object's perception of time will be slower when it is accelerating, compared to a stationary observer's perception of time.

3. Can an object reach the speed of light through acceleration in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light, regardless of how much acceleration it experiences. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires more and more energy to accelerate it further.

4. How does acceleration affect the shape of space-time in special relativity?

Acceleration can cause a curvature in space-time, which is known as the principle of equivalence. This means that an object's acceleration is equivalent to the effects of gravity on that object.

5. Can acceleration in special relativity cause time travel?

In theory, if an object were to accelerate to speeds close to the speed of light, it could potentially experience time dilation and appear to travel into the future. However, this would require an immense amount of energy and is currently not possible with our current technology.